January 7

Scripture focus:
"Do what I tell you, all my decrees and laws; live by them so that the land where I'm bringing you won't vomit you out. You simply must not live like the nations I'm driving out before you. They did all these things and I hated every minute of it. "I've told you, remember, that you will possess their land that I'm giving to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am GOD, your God, who has distinguished you from the nations. So live like it: Distinguish between ritually clean and unclean animals and birds. Don't pollute yourselves with any animal or bird or crawling thing which I have marked out as unclean for you. Live holy lives before me because I, GOD, am holy. I have distinguished you from the nations to be my very own. Leviticus 20:22-26, The Message

Prayer is a direct way to ask God what he expects of us. I find this essential when reading through the book of Leviticus. God tells his people to live by all the decrees and laws set before them. He reminds the Hebrew people that they are chosen and set apart for holy living. He challenges them to take a different path than those who have behaved in ways he hates. In the New Testament, the various writers describe prayer using various Greek words that indicate that prayer was by its very nature much like the way we talk to one another.

My husband and I have a lot of conversations, most of them mundane. I asked him this morning if he would please take out the trash because I could smell it all the way upstairs – and he did. He asked me if I had called about getting our treadmill moved to another room – and I responded that no, I had not. I offered to pick up dinner on my way home from a meeting. He asked if it would suit me for him to go workout right after work. These conversations are not sexy, but they are part of the framework of building a life together.

Last night I came home late from church because I sat and listened to a woman tell me about how she and her husband go for weeks without speaking to each other. Oh, how she longs for the mundane. She doesn’t want wine and roses, big rings and romantic trips to exotic locations – she desires a husband who is willing to be fully present in the mundane. I find it absolutely astounding that God meets me in the mundane. I can imagine that when I pray, God doesn’t just mute ESPN news and read the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen while I chatter away. He turns off the television.

Prayer is our chance to ask God things like, “What exactly do you mean when you tell me to live a holy life AND remind me that ‘all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of the Lord’ ”? Prayer is our opportunity to tell God how ashamed we feel when we promise to bring home dinner but arrive so late that our husbands accidently ate dog food thinking it was leftover stuffing from the Christmas turkey. Prayer is the privilege of talking to God without having to go through security or sneak into a party without an invitation. Prayer is a privilege.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


4 comments:

the housewife in Powhatan County said...

I was watching The Bridges of Madison County with my sister recently. Some people hated this movie. They said it was downright sinful how the movie seemed to give women permission to cheat. As we watched Meryl and Clint work side by side in the kitchen and take rides in his pick-up truck together, I couldn't help but see how lonely this woman was in her marriage. Peeling vegeatables and sharing mundane conversation with soft music in the background was better than a night out at the Ritz for her - and it all happened in an old farmhouse in Iowa. Don't misunderstand - I'm not advocating picking up the next mysterious, good-looking, Clint Eastwood look-alike that rolls into town and canoodling with him in the kitchen while your husband is away with the children and the livestock. But I couldn't miss this point - we all live mostly in the mundane. It is in the intimacy and loving, cherishing,respecting, you are so signifigant, and sexy -to-me-right-now peeling that potato moments, that relationship blooms. Why, not even if Clint Eastwood pulled up in front of your house, would you be enticed...well, maybe for just an autograph...
what was my point? Oh, yeah, do we recognize the privilege (those that are married) in being with our most -special other? This movie made me think.

Fortunate Husband said...

Great pitch Housewife...IF T retires I nominate you to take over the blog. Yes today I recognize the privilege of being with my most special other. I come home everynight and kiss her on her little chemo induced bald head and tell her how much I love her. I feel most honored to have her in my life.

You made me think. Thank you!

the housewife in Powhatan County said...

fortunate husband, you made me smile

Anonymous said...

You have both made me cry, just realizing the privelege it is to be in a community like NorthStar and sharing our most intimate and revealing selves with each other, but most importantly, within our own huts.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms