January 16

Scripture focus:
Now that the worst is over, we're pleased we can report that we've come out of this with conscience and faith intact, and can face the world—and even more importantly, face you with our heads held high. But it wasn't by any fancy footwork on our part. It was God who kept us focused on him, uncompromised. Don't try to read between the lines or look for hidden meanings in this letter. We're writing plain, unembellished truth, hoping that you'll now see the whole picture as well as you've seen some of the details. We want you to be as proud of us as we are of you when we stand together before our Master Jesus. Confident of your welcome, I had originally planned two great visits with you—coming by on my way to Macedonia province, and then again on my return trip. Then we could have had a bon-voyage party as you sent me off to Judea. That was the plan. Are you now going to accuse me of being flip with my promises because it didn't work out? Do you think I talk out of both sides of my mouth—a glib yes one moment, a glib no the next? Well, you're wrong. I try to be as true to my word as God is to his. Our word to you wasn't a careless yes canceled by an indifferent no. How could it be? When Silas and Timothy and I proclaimed the Son of God among you, did you pick up on any yes-and-no, on-again, off-again waffling? Wasn't it a clean, strong Yes? 2 Corinthians 1:12-19, The Message

There’s a proverb that goes something like, “A man plans his course but God determines his steps.” I appreciate how Paul and his friends are experiencing conflict over plans gone allegedly awry. It sounds like Paul and his team made a plan that they sincerely wanted to execute, but God had other ideas. Because the plan did not launch successfully, there seems to be some concern that finger pointing and accusations, even character assassination is going to be the response to this change in expectations. Paul seems to be defending himself and his friends, or perhaps this is a pre-emptive strike, expecting criticism and trying to head it off before things are said that might cause a rumble. I am sure every player in this story has a perspective that they feel is right and justifiable. I prefer to think that every story has three sides – yours, mine, and the truth.

Prayer is a spiritual discipline that assists me as I seek to not take sides. Prayer requires that I pause to prepare. Prayer invites me into a conversation, not a rant. I fully expect to speak but I eagerly anticipate listening for a response. Conversations often expand our view, clarify our thinking and provide new insights, options and even multiple possible solutions. Prayer reminds me that I may have a plan, but God may have other ideas (and that doesn’t mean something has gone haywire and blame needs to be ascribed).

A by-product of a disciplined prayer life for me has been the gift of flexibility. Don’t get me wrong, I like a plan. In fact, I prefer a bad plan to no plan at all. I would rather have a plan that I don’t even agree with than try to live without a clue as to where I’m trying to go or what I’m trying to accomplish. But when we pray – petitioning, thanking, praising, confessing, listening, learning – our brain has time to work in new and sometimes creative ways. We approach our days with conscience and faith intact. We are able to hold our heads up because through prayer we have beat back the enemy named shame. And if I have a clear conscience, it’s harder for someone else to inflame my shame when we disagree about an issue. Best of all – if my shame is not triggered, I will be far less likely to try to shame another. May you find a space in your day for prayer!

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


2 comments:

Questioning said...

If we find ourselves in a shame place have we failed at praying? Have we asked for the wrong thing or asked incorrectly? Could it be that we are broken and until we find what is truly broken within us, we can not pray our way out of shame? Can you become addicted to the feeling of shame? Can a old broken in pair of shame boots feel more comfortable than a new pair of grace boots? Are we stuck with shame because we believe we are am not worthy of grace? Just asking?

Anonymous said...

Questions one and two: are they the questions we want to ask - and I suspect this was your point...thoughts like "failed at" and "incorrect" are shame-inflaming - how could we change our vocab to match our belief? Is it possible for us to figure out what is broken, or is it enough to acknowledge brokenness and throw ourselves on the mercy of God? Is prayer a solution or an acknowledgement of a problem that only God can be trusted with (among other things that prayer is - like praise, etc.)? Is shame hard-wired? don't we often love the familiar over the new? Are we even worthy of grace? Or is it humility that we wish to avoid - acknowledging that even in our unworthy state - God pours out grace? Shame is a tricky trickster who shows up in many forms - sometimes a stubborn resistance to input, other times arrogance...t

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms