January 9

Scripture focus:
The letter was carried by Elasah son of Shaphan and Gemariah son of Hilkiah, whom Zedekiah king of Judah had sent to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. The letter said: This is the Message from GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies, Israel's God, to all the exiles I've taken from Jerusalem to Babylon: "Build houses and make yourselves at home. "Put in gardens and eat what grows in that country. "Marry and have children. Encourage your children to marry and have children so that you'll thrive in that country and not waste away. "Make yourselves at home there and work for the country's welfare. "Pray for Babylon's well-being. If things go well for Babylon, things will go well for you." Jeremiah 29:3-7, The Message

In the book of Jeremiah, God sent what seems like a strange message to his people. As I read this chapter, I am reminded of the historical context within which it is written and delivered. God was writing a letter of instruction to a group of people he had exiled. Basically, this letter was sent to a group of people that God had put in a massive “time out” as a result of their bad behaving and unrepentant hearts.

When I was taught the concept of “time out,” it was suggested to me that while my children were banished to their “time out” chair, I should not interrupt them with constant conversation. So when I read this letter, I smile. God loves his children so much, that even while they’re sitting in “time out” – he’s still encouraging them.

I’ve observed that when most of us believe that we’ve done something wrong or we assume that others think we’ve misbehaved (whether we agree with the assessment or not, whether anyone is even thinking about us or not), we have a tendency to assume that God and others withdraw from us. At least that’s what people tell me, and I’ve certainly felt that same way. As a result, I and others that I know tend to distance ourselves from not only God but our community (sort of as a pre-emptive withdrawal of love strike) when we feel ashamed or fear judgment.

God exiled his people, but he never banished them from access to him. We may reap what we sow, experience consequences for our actions, and sometimes find ourselves disciplined by a mighty God. But in all things, especially in seasons of heartbreak, don’t forget – God neither leaves nor forsakes us.

If you believe that you’re in a season of “time out,” I hope you’ll take some time to reacquaint yourself with those exiled to Babylon. You may find great encouragement and draw strength from their experiences.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms