March 15

Scripture focus:
But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:2 NIV

What delights you? I am delighted with our new grand puppy. I am delighted that my desk is positioned so that I can look outside and see the snow fall or the sun shine, depending on the day and season. I am delighted that last night my daughter and I went shoe shopping. I am delighted that my husband will return home from a trip tonight. I am delighted that in a couple of hours I’ll be with my girlfriends, drinking coffee and studying the gospel of Mark. I am delighted that one son is producing music and another one is making music with a new, cool band. I am delighted that I talked to one of my brothers this morning and he told me a couple very funny stories. These are delightful moments in my life.

But I appreciate them because God’s word taught me what to value about my life.

I could make a list of things that bring me great sorrow. Trust me, in the last few months the list has gained momentum. I could write about what I miss because I live far away from my mom, dad, brothers and their families. I could write of my children’s heartaches and how I hurt for them. I could write about financial hardship in a cranky economy and its affect on those I love. I could write about the funerals I attended over Christmas – both great tragedies. I could write about aging and the hardships that this natural process brings to those we love. Without God’s word to guide me, my sorrow might overtake me.

When we delight in the word of God, as we meditate on it day and night, we develop a renewed perspective about life. Delight is reframed; sorrow is not wasted by unproductive suffering. Appreciation for who God is changes what we value on a daily basis.

I don’t know what life would seem like to me without maintaining conscious contact with God nor do I want to find out! May we all grow in our delight of God’s word, so that we might experience the real and abundant life he has promised us.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i too live far from family so i can appreciate the disconnectedness that comes from being apart. i've found a new family in northstar that helps me keep my eyes on the goal. i thank God for each one of you. northstar has been a real blessing to me. i've learned not to look at what i dont have and instead to look at the blessings God has provided all around me.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms