March 6

Scripture focus:
Take me by the hand; lead me down the path of truth. You are my Savior, aren't you? Psalm 25:5 The Message

I have the most interesting encounters in the produce section of my local grocery store.

“I just wish I had your God-confidence!” A very nicely dressed lady smiles in my general direction as she gives what sounds like a lovely compliment to someone standing behind me.

I look around. The only thing behind me is a stack of apples. Feeling kind of silly, I look back and realize this stranger is speaking to me.

“Me?” I ask, still unconvinced that she could possibly be talking to me.

“Of course! I listen to you every Sunday on television, Oh, I just love those messages. They’re so inspirational!”

“Thanks.” I stand there, unsure about the next right thing to say. “But you really can’t believe everything you hear on tv. I’m glad the message inspires you, but we have a really great producer. I bet he cuts out the parts that reveal my God insecurities. But you can ask my children – I certainly have them!”

“You couldn’t possibly - you’re a televangelist! Me, I have loads of doubt. That’s why I watch you on tv. I don’t feel right going to church; I don’t belong there.” She begins to tell me her life story – filled with all sorts of illustrations proving that she is unworthy of a Savior.

We spent a few minutes together as I reminded her that Jesus was our Savior because he was God’s son – not because we made it easy for him to save us. After that, she gave me some feedback on my wardrobe and make-up and we parted ways.

Afterward, I wished I had said something more. In the moment, I forgot to tell her that trusting God means giving him our hand and following his lead – it has very little to do with confidence. Like the psalmist, we can reach out and step forward without having perfect confidence in the process. God is big. He can handle our crises of faith. Our doubts do not disturb him.
May you reach out and step today. Test me in this – as we reach and step, we grow in God-confidence. I have this new fitness video that says it best, “You don’t think your way to a healthy body; you work your body into health.” I think that’s true of God-confidence as well. May your God-confidence swell as you step as God speaks.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


2 comments:

Hzjewl said...

I tend to be impulsive at times, okay, most of the time but I am learning to slow down enough to listen for God's directions on which way for me to step. Good thing God-confidence does not come via a marathon or I'd be in real trouble.

Srixon said...

Jewl, For me it is a marathon a life long one as in trudging the road to happy destiny. I used to think all of those that "have it" had the lighting bolt experience but have come to believe from observing others and my own experiece the ones that seem to have it are the steady eddies with quiet faith and or trust as a result of their intentional relationship building with Him.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms