March 3

Scripture focus:
Listen, GOD, I'm calling at the top of my lungs: "Be good to me! Answer me!" When my heart whispered, "Seek God," my whole being replied, "I'm seeking him!" Don't hide from me now! Psalm 27:7-9 The Message

Which body part do you think was speaking the truth – the heart or the whole being? When I read this psalmist’s cry, the first thing I think of is how much I can relate. As I empathize, I begin to ask questions.

Was the psalmist really daring to ask God to be good to him? Hasn’t God showed us how delighted he is with us, how much he loves us? He sent his only Son to save us – what more can we possibly want from him? (But just the other day I suggested to my husband that perhaps God would do this or accomplish that for us…)

Did the psalmist dare ask God to answer? Could it be that God was busy, helping direct rescue efforts in Haiti or helping to avert another World War? Isn’t this cry a little…demanding? (But this guy clearly felt close enough to God to talk to him like I talk to my family members who grow collectively deaf when I cry out for help moving a piece of furniture.)

What did he do when his heart cried out to seek God and the rest of his body presumed that he already was seeking God? Did he listen to his heart or his body? Did he question his own motives, rethink his walk with God? (I have been known to presume I’m seeking God only to find out later that I was not.)

And where exactly did he get the idea that God enjoys a good game of hide-and-seek?

Maybe we could all benefit from taking a few minutes to think: is my heart crying out for me to do something in response to God – like seek him? Am I listening, or just hollering my head off begging for somebody to do something to make my life easier?

God is already good to us.

He has answered our prayers.

He doesn’t hide from us. He desires for us to walk with him.

What else could be going on if we, like the psalmist, feel as if God is distracted and not answering our call?


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


3 comments:

清楚 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dichelle said...

Oh, yeah. That's a good one, Teresa! Definitely a good devotional worth some serious thinking.

Hzjewl said...

I can easily refuse to believe that God is distracted and not answering my call but in my current distressful situation it would be so easy to feel forsaken. I would love to sit back & want and/or expect someone to do something but that would be foolish of me. I know enough now to not enable anyone to become co-dependent over me. But I also know that I can count on everyone's prayers.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms