March 30

Scripture focus:
It's impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him. Hebrews 11:6 The Message

The thing that pleases God is not our good behaving, our sacrifices or even our bible knowledge. Scripture is clear: God is thrilled when we trust him. It’s not about just knowing that there is a God, it’s about believing that God cares about us – and will respond when we seek him.

I have a friend who’s kind of depressed at the moment. She has a hard time believing that God cares for her. When something goes not-quite-right, her dark, murky perspective makes it tough for her to recognize God in her daily experience. She is suffering, but not alone.

Her friends, me included, are suffering with her. Don’t get the wrong idea. We’re not suffering on her behalf, we are suffering BECAUSE of her. (I know. It sounds so….unchristian-like to say this.) But this is our current experience.

At first we wanted her to start behaving better. This Eeyore persona was getting annoying.

One morning when I was out for a run, I was overcome with a feeling of sadness. My mind returned to all the perceived losses that our family was currently experiencing – either directly or vicariously through those we love. I couldn’t control it! It was beyond me! I reminded myself of all the good stuff I know, especially and including the truth that God cares enough to respond to those who seek him – and I was seeking!

God showed up. I was aware of a new thought. This is how my friend feels. Yes, her perspective seemed a little off the mark to the rest of her friends and family. But guess what? Don’t we all find ourselves stumbling around in the darkness?

I’ve decided that my friend doesn’t need to suffer forever, but while she is suffering, she certainly doesn’t need me judging her performance. It’s not God’s way, so why would it be mine?

Eeyore is still Eeyore-ish, but she’s my Eeyore, and I’m going to love her because I trust God, not because she makes it easy.

Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore? Either way, trust God.

Do you have a bouncy, happy Tigger who sometimes drives you crazy? Love that Tigger.

Do you have an Eeyore in your life? Let go and love ‘em.

This is how we trust God.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find that often i kind of bounce between being eeyore-ish and being tigger-ish. the best thing that a person can do for those who are feeling eeyore-ish is to show love and acceptance. when we try to tell them how they should act or feel, we are acting co-dependant and in fact we turn them off and make them feel worse about themselves. i know this from personnal experience. whenever somebody tells me what i should be feeling the only thing they accomplish is to turn me away so that the next time i feel the need to confess to someone i'm less likely to trust that person with my feelings.

Dogma said...

Wonder what life would look like if we were never to judge or experience judgement from others.

Man will let you down everytime.

Hzjewl said...

I feel that "man" as born-in-sin beings, have no choice but to let me down because they, as well as I, cannot help it; however, I have found some who will not let me down because as a member of a community, I can see them, failings and all, through the eyes of grace. For these eyes, I am eternally grateful. In my current Eeyore-ish state, I can see the love there and even when it isn't there, I trust God.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms