Day 1 – Happy First Day


Scripture focus: So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:2 The Message

Today, like every new day, is an opportunity to make a new beginning. I have a note in my brand new calendar to slow down enough each day to raise my awareness of its freshness and rejoice in the privilege of having the day to waste or redeem.

I am coming to believe that I don’t have to wait until next Monday to go on a diet, or another New Year to turn over a new leaf, or my life circumstances to improve for me to experience contentment.

Each morning, I can wake up and say….

This is an ordinary day of an ordinary life…and Lord, I place it before you.

It’s my offering to you, Father, to take my sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life and commit it to you.

Is an entire day too much commitment? No worries- I can give myself permission to start with the first hour of the day and see where it leads. During this hour, I embrace God. After two sleepless nights, I didn’t have the confidence this morning to believe I could last an hour in such an aware and alert state. So I chose to embrace a minute, and one minute led to two and finally thirty whole minutes. During that time I disciplined my heart and mind to only think of the true things I know about God and my true, God-created identity. I didn’t allow for time to analyze or dissect or attempt to understand my foibles and frailties. Worrying can happen anytime – but not during this sacred time.

I can’t explain why or how this time changes the other minutes of my day. It’s a mystery.

Lord, I pray that each of us will allow you to transform our ordinary days into extraordinary adventures as we live our lives guided by your light. Amen

Tomorrow we’ll explore a different kind of day.

Recommended reading: Genesis 1 - 3

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms