Day 341 – God Talk

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus: Later, when Herod died, God's angel appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt: "Up, take the child and his mother and return to Israel. All those out to murder the child are dead." Joseph obeyed. He got up, took the child and his mother, and reentered Israel. When he heard, though, that Archelaus had succeeded his father, Herod, as king in Judea, he was afraid to go there. But then Joseph was directed in a dream to go to the hills of Galilee. On arrival, he settled in the village of Nazareth. This move was a fulfillment of the prophetic words, "He shall be called a Nazarene." Matthew 2:19-23 The Message

What was it about Joseph that enabled him to step as God spoke with such perfect timing?

He had on his listening ears.

If we’re going to find the life satisfaction that we so eagerly seek – we’re going to have to acquire a pair of massive ears!

I’ve discovered a secret. When I take time every day to quietly listen to the voice of God, it makes it easier for me to step rightly throughout the remainder of my day. This is weird. But as I age, I realize the truth of it.

Some days and weeks I get busy – and I believe that I’m too busy to sit quietly and wait for God.

Then I get desperate. Soon, nothing in my life seems to feel comfortable. As my discomfort increases, my desire for change also grows. Then it hits me – I’ve been drifting away from the springs of living waters and the bread of life.

I don’t know how or why this works. But it does. When I spend time listening, it reframes my perspective – and I experience an often unconscious shift in thought and attitude within me. Soon, little frustrations aren’t even blips on my screen. Long lines are seen as an opportunity to pause, not a roadblock slowing down my hectic pace. People may act offensively, but my eyes see their own wounding. Goals may be blocked, and aspirations unachieved – but I view them as refinements and redirections to my path – not failures. Once in awhile, I’ll experience a “big win” moment – but oddly enough, I don’t experience it as any “bigger” than the defeat experienced the day before. Suddenly life isn’t about wins and losses – it’s about listening for the voice of God regardless of my perception of life circumstances.

All I can say about this is that, for me, the satisfying life seems to hinge upon the size of my ears! May each of us grow a pair of ears that any elephant would envy!

Recommended reading: Hosea 6 – 8 in the morning; Hosea 9 and 10 in the evening

Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms