Day 344 – Storing Up Treasures

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: And Mary said, “I'm bursting with God-news; I’m dancing the song of my Savior God. God took one good look at me, and look what happened— I'm the most fortunate woman on earth! What God has done for me will never be forgotten, the God whose very name is holy, set apart from all others. His mercy flows in wave after wave on those who are in awe before him. He bared his arm and showed his strength, scattered the bluffing braggarts. He knocked tyrants off their high horses, pulled victims out of the mud. The starving poor sat down to a banquet; the callous rich were left out in the cold. He embraced his chosen child, Israel; he remembered and piled on the mercies, piled them high. It's exactly what he promised, beginning with Abraham and right up to now.” Mary stayed with Elizabeth for three months and then went back to her own home. Luke 1:46-56 The Message

Mary hung out with Elizabeth for three months and then returned home. I can only imagine the blessings both women bestowed upon each other during that time. Mary returned home to her people – and we can only speculate about the reception she received. From a mother’s perspective, I must admit if my teenage daughter told me she was a pregnant virgin destined to bear the child of God – I’d probably lock my kid up in a psych ward. I’m just being honest here!! Maybe Mary was fortunate, and had a mother with better God-vision goggles than I possess. But do you think her community shared that big believing? Can you even fathom the amount of gossip and speculation, the looks and snide remarks Mary endured?

Remember – this was a young woman of faith. She was a “good girl.” Don’t you suppose snickers and derision greeted her protruding belly wherever she went? I wonder how her youth minister felt about Mary’s condition (I know – that is not historically sound thinking, but work with me – I’m trying to get us to think about Mary’s situation!!)

I draw comfort as I ponder Mary’s time with Elizabeth. I love reading and rereading Mary’s song of praise. I dream of how she disciplined her mind and heart to dance the song of our Savior God – perhaps in the face of communal disapproval. I rejoice at Mary’s viewpoint – the most fortunate woman on earth! How great a tribute to her faith – she knew and celebrated her true God-created identity – holy and set apart from all others.

She considered these truths to be signs of God’s great love for her – not stumbling blocks in the way of her personal happiness. Mary understood at a deeply personal level God’s commitment to the suffering of this world – the victims, starving poor, and even the cold. Mary provides us an example of how to find the satisfying life in the midst of difficult circumstances. Obviously, she had big listening ears and heard God’s voice. She also responded to his call to obedience. The other great thing about Mary is that she was a “right rememberer.” I don’t know how her village responded to her pregnancy – but we do know where Mary called home. Mary realized that her true home was with her heavenly Father, and this acknowledgement of her citizenship in the heavenlies informed her perspective on living in her tiny earthly village.

It’s my prayer that as we move toward the grand celebration of the birth of Christ, our memories will hold steadfast, and honor his parents during this season of rejoicing – Mary, who chose to believe God for all things and Joseph, who did likewise. May we grow into the kind of parents (whether through birth or borrowing!) who can remember, and honor, our heavenly Father. I pray this awareness will inform our daily decisions while encamped on planet earth.

Recommended reading: Amos 1 and 2 in the morning; Amos 3 and Revelation 2 in the evening



Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms