Day 346 – Fearful Expectancy

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Scripture focus: There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God's angel stood among them and God's glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David's town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you're to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger." Luke 2:8-12

One of the ways we can learn about the satisfying life is to study the lives of those who have gone before us. It helps if we have people to talk to about such things too. Recently I was standing in line, waiting for the coffee-guru to concoct my extra hot, skinny vanilla latte. As I stood waiting semi-patiently, my buddy asked me a spiritual question. “Hey, you’re that lady on TV that talks about God stuff, right?”

“Yep.”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure. Just so long as you can talk and make me the perfect cup of coffee simultaneously!”

“No problem. Your order is easy. Here’s my question: why doesn’t God just make it crystal clear to me what he wants me to know and do with my life?”

“Wow. Before I take a stab at that question, I’ve got a question or two for you.” I query, “Can you handle the truth?”

He stares at me. “Is this a trick question? Of course - I want the truth.”

“Really? Are you sure? How do you think you would feel if God showed up here, ordered a decaf and proceeded to tell you the exact game plan for your life?”

“I’d love it! All this confusion would be cleared up!”

“I don’t know, man, because most people have a very predictable response when God shows up and starts telling them the truth.”

“What’s that?” he asks. And it sounds like he really wants to know.

“They get afraid. They get very, very afraid.”

“NO WAY!”

“YES WAY!” He hands me my pumpkin cappuccino and I leave without complaint. Some days a gal can’t catch a break. Why do you suppose it is our natural inclination to respond in fear to the angels God brings into our lives to tell us the truth about something that God thinks is really important for us to know? More on this topic tomorrow.

Recommended reading: Amos 7 and 8 in the morning; Amos 9 and 10 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms