Day 1 - "Leak Proof"


Scripture focus:
You're blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. Matthew 5:8 The Message

Like many others, I put a lot of pressure on myself at the start of each New Year. I love the concept of fresh starts, but sometimes I'm unwilling to actually make a fresh start. This year was no exception; I began the year with a lot of hopes, dreams and expectations. But instead of jumping right in to the whole process of making changes, I decided to buy new storage containers for my kitchen.


If I could just get my refrigerator and leftovers into tip top shape, maybe the rest of my life would fall into line too. I bought expensive accessories. These containers promised to lock in freshness and lock out germs. They promised me "leak proof." They did not deliver. I was hoping those containers would do for me what I could not do for myself. I seem incapable of living a "leak proof" life.

Leak proof life: a life where all the messy stuff stays safely tucked inside, and the outside remains attractive, functional and productive.

I'm not sure why any of us would believe that "leak proof" is a realistic possibility, but I suspect that most of us hope for it because the idea of cleaning up our minds and hearts, getting them "put right" seems like a preposterous and utterly unattainable dream.

I want "leak proof!" I want an attractive, functional and productive life without having to worry about all that annoying internal state of "dis-ease." I want to skip the part where I actually make changes that address my anxiety, depression, fears and phobias and instead, learn how to behave in such a way that helps me believe in the fantasy that I'm doing great – just the way I am. No renovations necessary!

The thought of having to get my entire mind and heart put right seems way too overwhelming. Isn't there a softer, gentler way to have a blessed life?

Recommended reading
: Exodus 1 - 3

- click on the word comments and join our conversation


Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms