Day 12 - Trash Talk and Live Large


Scripture focus: My dear children, you come from God and belong to God. You have already won a big victory over those false teachers, for the Spirit in you is far stronger than anything in the world. These people belong to the Christ-denying world. They talk the world's language and the world eats it up. But we come from God and belong to God. Anyone who knows God understands us and listens. The person who has nothing to do with God will, of course, not listen to us. This is another test for telling the Spirit of Truth from the spirit of deception. 1 John 4:4 The Message

Living life trying to get our own way: One who is overwhelmed and driven by inner feelings of shame and guilt which unconsciously drive outward behavior.

Living life God’s way: "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.” Matthew 5:5 The Message

Application: I am powerless over my feelings of shame and guilt in the following areas: (name them). Some of my outward behavior that confuses me, because it isn’t who I really am includes: (name them). Part of living life God’s way is learning how to accept ourselves as we truly are. We learn how to be conscious of ourselves and God. For today, practice the discipline of contentment. I am going to choose to live contentedly today in the following area: (pick one).

Practicing contentment is a choice. It’s hard work. This week I’ve noticed my husband walking around the house muttering, “Thank you God for all the work you’ve brought my company.” He’s working long hours, but instead of feeling stressed about not getting all his work done every day by five, he’s trash talking his inner feelings of inadequacy. He looks kind of crazy walking around the house talking to himself. But he’s also the proud owner of something precious that can’t be bought.

Recommended reading: Genesis 44-47

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trash-talking the lie that I am not lovable or worthy of love, or will ever be loved. My circumstances scream differently. But then again, my circumstances have brought me face-to face with the lie I have been believing for more years than I know. I would call this God's severe mercy towards me. A great big beautiful gift wrapped in pain,to get my attention.
I don't drink the kool-aid, but I have been thinking about something Oprah said. "You don't become what you want, you become what you believe".
Believing is a dangerous thing when you really stop & think about it! God gives each of us the free will to believe what we want, about Him, & about ourselves.
Just for today, I am content to know what the lie is I have believed about myself, that has rendered me inefective, so I can trash talk it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment on the need for a World Language.

I live in London and if anyone says to me “everyone speaks English” my answer is “Listen and look around you”. If people in London do not speak English then the whole question of a global language is completely open.

The promulgation of English as the world’s “lingua franca” is impractical and linguistically undemocratic. I say this as a native English speaker!

Impractical because communication should be for all and not only for an educational or political elite. That is how English is used internationally at the moment.

Undemocratic because minority languages are under attack worldwide due to the encroachment of majority ethnic languages. Even Mandarin Chinese is attempting to dominate as well. The long-term solution must be found and a non-national language, which places all ethnic languages on an equal footing is essential.

An interesting video can be seen at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670

A glimpse of Esperanto can be seen at http://www.lernu.net

Anonymous said...

Trying to live in the present remembering that I am already the proud owner of everything that can't be bought isn't easy. I don't remember this often but for right now I am. For that I am grateful. How do you help yourself remember?

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms