Day 22 - Worshiping God


Scripture focus:
Blessed be your glorious name, exalted above all blessing and praise! You're the one, GOD, you alone; You made the heavens, the heavens of heavens, and all angels; The earth and everything on it, the seas and everything in them; You keep them all alive; heaven's angels worship you! Nehemiah 9:6 The Message

Our son Scott is spending his first months in California visiting all sorts of churches. He’s listened to famous and obscure pastors, gone to mega-churches and small congregations that meet in a movie house. He is exploring diverse ethnic congregations. One Sunday he stayed home and tuned in to a televised service.

Scott loves music and has expressed strong opinions about the expression of worship through music. I assumed that the style of worship would be really important to Scott; I’m surprised to learn that it’s really a non-issue. Scott reports that for him, the meaning of worship is expanding. Once upon a time he thought it was about style. Today he’s coming to believe that it is more about attitude than accessories.

I love it when our kids make us think.

Attitude is a big deal. It’s not just what we think about that impacts our experiences, it’s how we process these thoughts, impulses and intuitions. Experience is a great teacher. As we grow, our values are refined. Years ago I was on a tennis team. As a rookie, I had a ton to learn. On my team was a wily veteran of the game. She moved slowly on the court, and suffered a variety of ailments appropriate for her age. I could never climb over her on our team tennis ladder. I was younger, faster, and hungrier – but I was a rookie and she was a veteran. She used her experience and regularly walloped me.

“Coming to believe” is what happens when commitment and experience combine to spur on transformation. In tomorrow’s devotional, we’ll begin a study of comparison and contrast dealing with the attitudes of a rookie versus veteran.

Recommended reading:
Matthew 14-16

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My soul (thinker-mind, feeler-emotions, & chooser-will) try to tell me I should be further along in my Christian walk after 20+years, but what keeps coming up in my spirit is revisiting the basics, and rebuilding the foundation. Here's where I had to check my attitude, because my daily life should be an act of worship, and it hasn't been. So I'm revisiting the basics, wk, rest, play, nutrition, exercise, & eating the word daily. Incorporating these healthy habits along with daily prayer & confession. I'm not a contractor, but it sounds like more wk to repair a foundation that's already there, than to start from scratch, with no foundation. Perhaps my ah ha moment is realizing that ALL of the foundation may be removed & there's nothing He needs from me. In the meantime, I'll work on my attitude of worship with my daily life, inorder to submit myself as the clay to the potter. However, I do notice something that I haven't experienced in a while, and that is EXPECTANCY. The attitudes of a rookie vs veteran will be an interesting way to score where I be in the game.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms