Day 16 - Judging and Criticizing


Scripture focus:
"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor. Matthew 7:1-5 The Message

When I accepted the responsibility of speaking during the Celebration Services at NorthStar Community, I didn’t fully appreciate the implications. Handling the word of God in worship is a fearful responsibility. I can remember weeks when it was hard to pull myself out of the car after a service. But one thing I always found the energy for – critiquing and judging. During lunch, I’d ask Pete to tell me where I stumbled, what points remained unclear, who I might have confused, when I fell short. Our children would listen in, and offer their own perspective.

Someone should have walked up and smacked me on the head like they do on those V-8 commercials.

One morning I was reading scripture, and came across today’s scripture focus. And although God did not reach out of heaven and give me a smack, he did lovingly convict me of my wrong-doing. It was as if I heard him say, “You know, Teresa, when you were the recipient of a weekly message, you never treated your pastor like this – why are you treating yourself so shoddily? Do you think I gather up my robes and tip toe to the edge of the heavenlies eager to pick apart your efforts? That’s not my style and I don’t want it to be yours, either. Girl, you’re showing up. That’s all I ask of you.”

It was a proverbial light bulb moment. Perhaps my greatest conviction came as I realized what a poor role model we had been for our children. Let me qualify this by saying that trying to improve one’s serve is always a good thing. Diligence and hard work is valuable. But when we slip into a spirit of judgment – even when that judgment is directed at self – we have slipped into stinking thinking. Tomorrow we’re going to look at a list of judging no no’s.

Recommended reading: Proverbs 7-9

- click on the word comments and join our conversation


Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms