May 10 - The road less traveled

Scripture focus:
By faith, Moses, when grown, refused the privileges of the Egyptian royal house. He chose a hard life with God's people rather than an opportunistic soft life of sin with the oppressors. He valued suffering in the Messiah's camp far greater than Egyptian wealth because he was looking ahead, anticipating the payoff. By an act of faith, he turned his heel on Egypt, indifferent to the king's blind rage. He had his eye on the One no eye can see, and kept right on going. By an act of faith, he kept the Passover Feast and sprinkled Passover blood on each house so that the destroyer of the firstborn wouldn't touch them. Hebrews 11:24-28 (The Message)

An adventure is a transgression you don't regret.

Kate Wheeler

I refuse to live in a state of recession or depression. I was promised the abundant life by the ultimate keeper of promises, and I fully expect to live one. In an age of economic downturn and bad news blaring across all forms of communication, this commitment to the abundant life is sometimes made through clenched teeth. It's an adventure.

When Moses chose a hard life with God's people rather than an opportunistic soft life of sin with the oppressors, I doubt that he expected things to go well. And he was right. It's exciting to read about the plagues and how the oppressed Hebrews were set free. But keep reading. It wasn't long before they were murmuring and complaining, wishing for the devil that they knew rather than the dread of the unknown.

Moses' own commitment to the adventure wavered on more than one occasion, just as mine falters as I seek the abundant life in a world that is determined to remind me of all that I allegedly lack.

The only way I know to remain hopeful is to keep my eye on the One no eye can see. I no longer listen to the radio, television, and news reports obsessively. I still listen. But I limit my exposure. I don't want to creep into the land of denial accidently, but honestly, how many times do we need to be told that it's the end world as we know?

As my eye maintains a steady gaze on the throne of grace, I discover lots and lots of opportunities to accept responsibility for my life without blaming others. I need to practice sound financial principles – spend less than I make, practice the fine art of contented living, learn to not place my hope in the material world, focus on helping someone less fortunate than myself, give back, offer a hand up, be kind, stay the course, do my part to create a community worth suffering for, and on and on and on. As I live an instructed life, it's very hard to find the time to embrace self-pity as a lifestyle.

Skill set #5: Stay committed to the possibility of hope, even when tempted to fall into despair. Refuse to do that which comes natural – isolation. Instead, seek community support. This community includes God and others.

Recommended reading: Deuteronomy 8-10

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

testing

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms