May 22 - Power in numbers


Scripture focus:
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV)


"You know what I need," he stated firmly and waited my reply.
"I don't have a clue, enlighten me," I respond.

"I need community." He says it fiercely. He dares me to disagree. But as I stare intently into his angry face, I am struck with an incongruous thought. He is telling me one thing but looks like he means something else. Why do I get the feeling that he'd rather make others responsible for what he needs than take responsibility for helping create?

Identifying our need for community isn't rocket science. Most people know that living in community is vital to wellness. If not, why would agoraphobics try to leave their self-imposed prisons? In an age where we can order on-line, talk on cell phones, get on conference calls and even set up video cameras in our home – who needs to leave home and venture out into the chaotic world of community?

But here's the thing – if we're going to build community, we've got to be willing to get our hands dirty. If we want a community that is there for us in our time of need, we've got to be willing to commit to that same community and be fully present for others in their time of need too.

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. But first you have to gather the three. Communities don't just spring up like dandelions and wild onions. Authentic communities are more like daffodils, hyacinths, orchids and roses – they must be planted, nurtured, fertilized and pruned.


I don't know where you are in the process of building and sustaining a sense of community, but I pray you are stepping up to the plate and becoming the solution you so desperately seek.

Recommended reading: Psalm 35-37

- click on the word comments and join our conversation


Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Teresa, these are always so apt and right on the money with what is doing. I realised the same thing this very morning - to get a friend, first you have to be a friend.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms