June 1 - Not rules, principles, guidelines, or good intentions

Scripture focus: The serpent was clever, more clever than any wild animal God had made. He spoke to the Woman: "Do I understand that God told you not to eat from any tree in the garden?" Genesis 3:1 (The Message)

Most people have heard the sordid tale of Adam and Eve, particularly in reference to their nasty fruit tasting incident. Who could have predicted that fruit could be so bad for us?

Actually, I don't think fruit is the problem.

This month, we're going to think about the root of the problem. We're going to study the first incident that I personally think gives each of us a clue about our own "sin problems" – i.e., our inability to stop bad behaving, even when we sincerely have good intentions.

For today, think and ponder and pray for insight about the serpent's question. What's he implying? What did Eve hear – both spoken and unspoken – that ultimately triggered an event so cataclysmic that she got Adam and herself booted from the Garden of Eden?

If fruit tasting wasn't the root of the problem, what was?

Recommended reading: Acts 14-16

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

I would say I have been adicted to fruit for most of my life.I have been thinking about Eve, since Teresa brought her story up in church. I never really gave Eve much thought only blame.The more I think about her, could she have made her choice because she felt less than.I know we have discussed that she betrayed her trust in god.I feel conected to her in a way,I spent a lot of my life feeling less than for one reason or another.I can hear the serpent now,god said you are not good enough to eat from that tree,he keeps the best fruit for himself,or he really said you CANT eat from that tree. I relate because I have heard all that before in my head real or imagined.You are just not good enough, your best is not good enough,you do not look right,you do not dress right,your are short, you are fat,you do not deserve love,who would ever want you.I did not even need a serpent,I am not even sure anyone said those things it is what I heard.The biggest trigger for me was the would can't,really let me show you.Recovery for me today is about choices it is not that I can not use, it is that I choose not to use.I believe I proved I could use and was very good at iy.Today for me I may be untall,unthin,maybe a little off I have found a trust in god that says I am just the way he made me.I know that all my imperfections are gift he gave me and they are only imperfections seen by me not him.Oh I almost forgot my community gets to expierence my imperfections as well and they still love and accept me.I have ask myself now what would I do in the garden when the serpent shows up?

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms