May 27 - Love our longing


Scripture focus:
You, Lord, know every one of my deepest desires, and my noisy groans are no secret to you. Psalm 38:9 (Contemporary English Translation)


Once upon a time I dreamed of a grown up life. I pictured it filled with contentment – no more needs, wants, longings and desires. As an adult, I'd be the captain of my own ship sailing competently toward my destiny.

Then I grew up.


As I've grown, I've come to accept the fact that discomfort and feelings of distress, pain, deprivation, yearning and even longing are not necessarily "bad" or "wrong."


I still toy with the idea of a comfortable life. It sounds like a neat way to live.


According to Gerald May, a comfortable lifestyle may prove spiritually stifling. This challenges my preconceived (and childish) notion that the good life is a painless one.


More on Dr. May's perspective in tomorrow's devotional.

For today, spend some time thinking about learning how to love your longing.


Recommended reading: Psalm 47-50

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

I would agree with Dr.May.I am not sure if I had a carefree life that I would working as hard for a better relationship with God.How many of us when times were good shouted" God please get me survive this and I promise to not enjoy life again".I have always seemed to look for God the harder life has been.Today,I work(not a bad word)everyday to be closer with God during the good times, then I do not have to look for Him during bad times cause I know He is already there.The question I leave with today is not how to love my longings, but what are my lovings and then how do I love them?

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms