May 7 - Disturbing news

Scripture focus: By an act of faith, Joseph, while dying, prophesied the exodus of Israel, and made arrangements for his own burial. Hebrews 11:22 (The Message)

The past is never where you think you left it.

Katherine Anne Porter

It seems our ability to think creatively and assimilate information rapidly peaks at age twenty-seven. Evidently, according to the news, it's all downhill from the age of twenty-seven on. I guess that's why I was so startled to hear the actual researcher who conducted the study say that the news media had it all wrong. True enough, some functions of the human brain do appear to peak at twenty-seven. But there are a host of other functions that continue to grow and build upon themselves as we age.

One of the things that can't be rushed is the acquisition of wisdom and discernment. Joseph, while dying, may have acquired more insight about the past than he ever had when he was living it. This knowledge enabled him to see the future more clearly too.

As mysterious as this seems, I have come to believe that how we view our past may shape our future in ways we cannot fully grasp. That's why I find myself, way past my peak performance in some areas, only beginning to hit my stride in other very crucial areas of life. It's only as I look at my past through the eyes of faith that I begin to see how swiftly the future approaches. Small annoyances pale as I grow more experienced in looking at life through the lenses of God-vision goggles.

Life will bring many regrets and losses; but it also brings surprising gifts of joy with them. As we learn how to take out the garbage of our lives, may we hold tight to the gifts. Life is short. Figure out how to embrace it.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV)

Skill set #3: Acquiring wisdom and discernment takes time and a willingness to look for the treasures where others see only trash.

Recommended reading: John 19-21

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community



No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms