May 30 - More on loving longing


Scripture focus:
My heart is breaking with the longing that it has for Your ordinances and judgments at all times. Psalm 119:20 (Amplified Bible)

"To claim our rightful place in destiny, we must not only accept and claim the sweetly painful incompleteness within ourselves, but also affirm it with all our hearts. Somehow we must come to fall in love with it." Addiction and Grace, p. 180.

Two thoughts:
  1. If we can accept yearning and longing as a state of being that is neither pathological, abnormal or fatal then we can stop wasting time trying to make pain relief our highest value.

  2. If we can accept yearning and longing as a state of being in not only ourselves but others, we can free ourselves from codependency. We can accept the truth that we can never take care of all that another lacks.
Once we accept longing as a way of life, we can free ourselves to pursue loftier life goals than simply feeling good.

Recommended reading:
Acts 8 - 10

- click on the word comments and join our conversation


Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

2 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I can accept these two thoughts as truths for me,I still find myself giving in to the yearnings and longings too often. I also know now the danger sign that on HALT or very stressful days,I am much more likely to medicate.I also know that when a family member is having a HALT or stressful day, I have been to quick to offer medicine.Thanks to Northstar I have been given an understanding of why I do it not an excuse for doing it.The good news is my medicine is not illegal or come in a bottle,and I do not use my prescription pad without a sponser or community referral.It seems the more I develop this trust in god and become more involved with my community the less I find the need to medicate.I find it amazing the subsitutions I have found for my medicines of choice,far to many to list.I do know with all my heart that life is going to be painful and messy and can happen at any time.I know that I need to expierence the pain and the messes to grow,these are the events for me that draw me closer to god and my community.The two thoughts for me will become a daily mirror reading with a little change,everywhere it says if we or we will become I.I do not know if this still is a comment or became a ramble but either way may god bless you today.

Anonymous said...

I love your honesty! I've been attending NS for 6 years and the process of understanding my inner dissatisfactions is just now becoming clear! When I had unrest and a feeling of disatisfaction, I would get angry, feel shame and want to withdraw, run, escape. Now, I can reframe that disatisfaction. It's ok!I know what it is! It's not my circumstances. I don't need to blame it on anyone! I don't have to run. I can embrace it and know that I have greater goals that are in the hands of God as he transforms me. It has a divine purpose

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms