May 11 - Faith walk

Scripture focus: By an act of faith, Israel walked through the Red Sea on dry ground. The Egyptians tried it and drowned. Hebrews 11:29 (The Message)

Early in my own journey, I had no idea how to draw near to God, so I cheated. I studied how other people drew near and copied them. I realized after an extended period of imitation that the same things that made for a good friendship with a person pretty much applied to an intimate relationship with God. Honestly, if I hadn't been such a big cheater I don't think I would have ever gotten this point on my own. There is absolutely no replacement for simply doing it – walk with God. I love to read books about God – but that doesn't ensure that I have drawn near to him. I go to church every Sunday – there's no place I'd rather be – but going to church and walking with God are two different activities. It was in the course of walking with God that I became convinced that it was imperative that I show up for church every Sunday. As I walked with God my hunger to know about God grew and my commitment to study him increased. But there is absolutely no shortcut for walking with God. No one else can do it for me. Here's my theory. As usual, we humans often get stuff backwards. We confuse the by-product (worship, reading God's word, etc.) with the source of strength and inspiration (walking with God). As I've cheated my way into this walking with God stuff, I've acquired a few skill sets. I feel embarrassed mentioning them, lest you hear me saying I've got this spiritual journeying stuff nailed down. I don't. But I have learned some things along the way because someone once helped me find my way. I offer these suggestions with the same spirit that they were once given to me.

Skill set #6: Start out honest and stay there. God can handle our authenticity. Talk to God.

Skill set #7: Don't forget to listen. Honest sharing is good, but if all we ever do is share our "stuff," that's a monologue and will not win friends. Every good friendship is built on taking turns.

Skill set #8: Eat the book. Listen to scripture. My mentor once told me that the only handles God had to grab hold of in my heart were the words of scripture that were planted there. I am such a nitwit, so prone to denial, faulty thinking, deception and confusion, that I hunger and thirst for the checks and balances that come as I regularly partake of the book.

Skill set #9: I don't know how the journey will go for you, but for me, I have learned that drawing near to God requires that I let go of my own pre-conceived notions and expectations about what the abundant life entails.

May your walk be sweet.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Joseph Campbell

Recommended reading: Deuteronomy 11-13

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms