May 26 - Help our friends tell us the truth


Scripture focus:
Some friends don't help, but a true friend is closer than your own family. Proverbs 18:24 (Contemporary English Version)

Friendship is a wondrous privilege and responsibility. Lots of books have been written about how to be a good friend. I myself used to quote the famous proverb, "A man who has friends must himself be friendly" to my children all the time. Acquiring social graces and eliminating annoying habits that drive people away in droves encourages friendship. But deep, abiding connectedness happens when we become the kind of people who live in a way that our stories reflect the truth about our growing capacity to experience the love and grace of God.

Joining each other in shared suffering is one way to be a friend. Learning how to spur each other on as we grow into our true, God-created identity is precious. It will help our relationships develop and encourage our friends to courageously tell us the hard truths that we may need to hear if we show them that their efforts are not wasted.

Can we learn how to embrace teachable moments?


Are we willing to change our ways?


Will we inspire others to not only share in our suffering but join us in seeking a transformed life?


If you're feeling disconnected from others, you might want to observe how you handle constructive feedback. It's a bad day when people stop offering us feedback because they've concluded it's a waste of their time.


Recommended reading:
Psalm 44-46

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

The amazing thing about my life today is I never know who my next teacher is going to be.I love those teachable moments,I beleive they are only found because I am willing to change.I know before embracing community I could count my friends on one hand, today I do not feel the need to count.I do find myself with the need to look at how much quicker I stop giving feedback to family than friends.Have a blessed day ALL

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms