June 2 - What God Allegedly Said

Scripture focus: The Woman said to the serpent, "Not at all. We can eat from the trees in the garden. It's only about the tree in the middle of the garden that God said, 'Don't eat from it; don't even touch it or you'll die.'" Genesis 3:2-3 (The Message)

As Eve responds to the serpent's question, notice several crucial points:

1. It appears that Eve added to God's message when she says "don't even touch it." If you read Genesis 2:17, it says, "You can eat from any tree in the garden, except from the Tree-of-Knowledge-of-Good-and-Evil. Don't eat from it. The moment you eat from that tree, you're dead." Is this significant? I don't know. But I have observed in myself a tendency to try to use borders and fences to coral my wayward heart. For example, dieting gurus tell us to keep junk food out of our homes in order to maintain our sincere commitment to healthy eating. That's a fence. I've heard sponsors recommend that alcoholics stop visiting their favorite "watering holes" in order to avoid temptation. Studies in brain activity indicate that if we even see a "using buddy" our brain lights up like a Roman candle in the exact same spot that it lights up when we use (therefore they conclude that it's a good idea to avoid using buddies too). I understand the excellent advice; I even follow it – most days. But avoidance isn't the cure, merely a recommended part of any good recovery program. Avoidance alone has never cured one's compulsion to use a cheap substitute to fill us with what we so desperately lack. I wonder if Eve, in a sincere attempt to follow God's instruction, put up the "don't touch" boundary as a way to protect herself from her own desires and inclinations.

2. Notice that Eve was not confused about God's instructions. She said the right thing; she knew the principle. The problem was that she proceeded to live the wrong life; knowing and saying the right things doesn't necessarily translate into making wise choices.

3. Finally, study Eve's response. In answering the serpent, she spoke about principles and guidelines, not relationship. She referenced God's instructions, but was not led by her heart. Why did she feel the need to speak to the serpent about what God did or did not say? It sounds like Eve felt the need to defend God (did she wonder if God needed defending because she doubted his love and ability to protect her?).

What would have been different about this conversation if Eve were guided by trust rather than triggers? She might have said to the serpent, "Hey, you've really got me thinking. I wonder exactly why God gave me this principle to live by. Tonight, when we're walking in the garden, I'll talk to God about this and get back to you." I'm a big fan of education. I love learning new things and I appreciate how this information can be useful in helping me make wise choices. But knowledge is not a panacea to what ails us, nor is it a substitute for a trusting love relationship. So the next important question is this: what ails us?

Recommended reading:
Acts 17-20

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

Borders,fences, and boundries I find they work so much better when I have surrendered to what it is they are protecting me from.They were just something else to cross, climb or jump.My thought is that if Eve had surrendered to the loving relationship with god that she would not have had to question it.I know for me I get a different feeling from I know god loves me rather than why does god love me.I also know that sometimes I loose the message because I get so focused on the restrictions that may have been given with it.The one tree that I can not eat from could easily become the most desired.How many time of I heard said "we want most what we can not or should not have". I have also learned the value of pauseing to prepare before answering serpents.I to like to learn new things, Like panacea (I will have to get back to on that one).What ali's me?I am not sure I could make a complete list at the moment. I do know that with the relationship I have and the drive to better understand god my ail's while still a part of me are lessened.God Bless!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms