June 22 - Relax

Scripture focus: Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me? Hebrews 13:5-6 (The Message)

In the scriptures, God gently guides us and shows us ways to think, feel and do when we trust and love him. I don't know about you, but I need a lot of coaching. When we trust and love God, there are some attitudes that fit with that commitment, and some that do not. Here are a few that are always winners:


  • No person, place or thing is worth obsessing over because no person, place or thing can ever substitute for the satisfaction found in trusting and loving God.

  • When we accept the truth that no person, place of thing is worth obsessing over because no person, place or thing can ever satisfy our deepest longings, then we can relax.

  • Stress may be a clue that we're obsessing over something or someone that we shouldn't be obsessing over.

  • There's a difference between loving and obsessing. Loving is something we give and receive, without expectation.

  • Obsessions are always tied to expectations.

  • When we learn how to live in a trusting relationship with God, our fears decrease and our confidence soars.

For the sake of clarity, I want to emphasize that a commitment to not obsessing, relaxing, loving, eliminating expectations, decreasing fear and increasing confidence is an ineffective way to renovate a heart. Obsessing, stressing, etc. are symptoms. They are clues that lead us to consider: do I trust myself with God?

Decisions do need to be made. But the starting point is this - commit ourselves to entering into a trust relationship with God.

Recommended reading:
Joshua 19-21

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been rereading The Shack and towards the end it talks about the difference between having expectancy and expectations in a relationship. Expectancy is alive and dynamic. Expectations are rules and requirements. On page 208 Wm Young says, "Responsibilities and expectations are the basis of guilt and shame and judgment, and they provide the essential framework that promotes performance as the basis for identify and value."

When I find myself obsessing as Teresa illustrates in today's entry I suspect my expectations in myself are not being met. This is a huge indicator for me that I'm not trusting God. Noticing this pattern is a big step for me. Now I'm working on committing myself to expectancy in God's plans not my own.

Anonymous said...

beautifully said

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms