July 1 - Embracing my longing

Scripture focus: Jesus went to a party hosted by Matthew; the religious leaders thought this was shameful behavior...here's what happened next: The religious leaders asked Jesus' followers: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners?'" Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

I have heard the authors of the book TrueFaced make this comment: "So many believers say the right thing but live the wrong life." I love that statement. I love it because it so often applies to me. I love it because it so often applies to my friends, family and even a foe or two.

Clearly, I would prefer to both say the right thing AND live the right life.

I suspect my friends, family and foes would as well.

But we don't. We mess up.

That's why it is such good news to know that Jesus didn't come to save the sinless. He didn't come to hand out award pins and "most improved Christian" certificates. He came for us sinners.

It's important to remember why he came. He didn't come to shame us or whip us into shape. Jesus also wants us to say the right things and live the right life. (Remember what he said to the woman caught in adultery? "Go...and sin no more.")

But here's the thing that Jesus knows, and we need to learn -- we won't know what to say or what to do or how to do it -- unless we learn to listen to the Father's voice. And we won't strain with all our might to listen, speak about and do the will of the Father if we fear his wrath.

Oh how fortunate are we that we have a God who loves with great compassion. He came to help those in desperate need of a Savior.

People who think they're saying and doing the right thing most of the time aren't out looking for a Savior, they're standing around waiting for the awards ceremony!

I don't know where you are in your journey, but I straight up confess: I often say the right things and live a wrong life. I often say what I think is a right thing only to discover it was wrong! I sometimes try to say and do the right thing -- and usually mess that up. This is true of me. Oh how fortunate I am -- because in all this needing -- there is a Savior who has come for me.

How are you doing? Waiting for a good conduct pin? Or are you, like me, longing for a Savior?

Recommended reading: 2 Corinthians 6-9

© Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

2 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I am not sure how to judge were I am on my journey.My prayer is I am a little closer to saying and doing the things God is leading me to.When I am to focused on doing the right things, I tend to be serving me.I know without failing at doing or saying the right things, I would not need to continue my journey.If longing and needing are the same things then I too am longing for a Savior.

I Might be Wrong said...

Thank You project
I have learned about myself,I do not know how to accept thanks.I have to give a reason for helping or saying it was nothing.I wonder why getting thanked makes me feel so incomfortable?I need to learn to just say "you are welcome".How does getting thanked make you feel?

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms