June 14 - Clinging to the vine

Scripture focus: "I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is-when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples." John 15:5-8 (The Message)

Today's scripture focus provides us an opportunity to test our shame-o-meter. Let's consider how our shame level might influence how we experience Jesus' teaching...

High shame: Steeped in shame, the reader might choose to focus on the "deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire." He or she might listen and moan quietly, certain that Jesus is right, just as they suspected – they will never be productive, they are terminally unique and perpetually separated, isolated and alone. They assume that their sin - shameful and worse than most people's sin - stands between them and the vine. They lose hope of an intimate, organic relationship. Maybe they're tempted to go for a fast food, processed, fake relationship. So the shamed person redoubles their effort to earn their way back to the vine. Inevitably, all this striving leaves the striver sick and tired.

Low shame: Living with the belief that God's grace and protective love are intended not just for salvation, but also for transformation, the reader with a low shame level hears this teaching with joy and delight. They marvel and appreciate the intentions of Jesus – God wants to be intimately and organically connected with them! True enough, separation would render any man, woman or child unproductive and ineffective, without purpose, drifting in the waves of a chaotic life. But that's not overly concerning, it's more like a gentle warning or a clear explanation of what happens when we grow forgetful of God and his ways. Quickly Jesus tells the reader that if they're feeling separated, a solution is present. All that's needed is to make one's self at home with Jesus and his words. All of us who draw near to God can be completely confident that we can approach the throne of grace and God will listen to us – and even act on our words. Maturity isn't dependent on our performance, it's a by-product of trusting and loving God. How cool is that?

Are you sitting there thinking, yep, that's me, high shame? If so, here's what I want you to do. Tell God – I feel very shame-filled AND I am trusting you. I know my shame does not separate me from you – because nothing can separate me from your love. I'm trusting you to work with me on my shame. I don't know how that will look but I'm trusting you with the process. I believe you love me, listen to me, and act on my words. Amen. May your day be filled with the joy of the Lord!

Recommended reading:
Psalm 62-64

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms