June 19 -
Get in gear

Scripture focus: So roll up your sleeves, put your mind in gear, be totally ready to receive the gift that's coming when Jesus arrives. Don't lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing. You didn't know any better then; you do now. As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God's life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, "I am holy; you be holy." 1 Peter 1:14-16 (The Message)

Put our minds in gear.

The gear we put our mind in matters.

I have noticed that when my mind is racing, it's more likely that I'm under stress than in communion with God. For me, a racing mind is a stressed out mind. A stressed out mind means I'm feeling attacked or at risk, afraid of the future or filled with regret about the past. My body under stress goes into survival mode. In survival mode, the person I'm most concerned about is me. Frankly, this adrenalin-fueled state feels pretty energizing. I've learned that adrenaline sharpens my senses and quickens my step. I feel like I am definitely geared up and ready to rumble.

But stress and adrenalin don't pull me into a way of life shaped by God's life. Adrenalin is energizing, but it's a kinetic, unfocused frenzy.

An energetic life, blazing with holiness doesn't run on adrenalin and caffeine. It springs forth as a by-product of staying connected to the vine.

God's word reminds us that we can have the mind of Christ. He's not stressed about what the future holds, because he knows who holds the future.

Let's roll up our sleeves. Let God love us and gently pull us into a way of life shaped by God.

Recommended reading: Joshua 10-12

- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


4 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

This is the first time in my life I am really reading the Bible.I am struggling with all the death and destuction.My God is a loving,caring,forgiving father who loves me unconditionally. Joshua's God is instructing him to kill and burn everything that is different than himself or does not believe as he does.The people he made servants was done without asking God first.If Joshua had asked would he have had to kill them too? The understanding I have today says that God may use me to help someone else see him through me, even if they do not share my understanding.I have to be missing something? I am not sure that what I am reading really makes me want to listen.Thank God I have community, where this could go if I was alone.Time to listen to those with a better understanding.
God Bless

randy pepin said...

To 'I Might Be Wrong':Joshua is definitely a hard read. My understanding is no better than yours, and maybe not as good. For decades I was a 'hearer', but not a doer. I was an 'engineer' in my own mind, but every 'bridge' I built collapsed (at least the ones I didn't burn first). Bridges that collapse almost always create casualties and headlines. Teresa urges us all to 'eat the word.'You are obviously doing that. Joshua was chosen to go into the Promised Land, one of just a few, because of his obedience. I think Joshua 6: 18,Numbers 35: 33-34,Deuteronomy 29: 18-19, and Deuteronomy 30: 11-20 could be helpful in understanding the story line and understanding Joshua's call. If at any time Joshua had disobeyed or acted on his own, I believe he would have been disciplined like Moses. Moses spoke to a rock for water (Exodus 17: 1-7), and struck a rock twice for water (Numbers 20: 1-11). When Moses struck a rock twice rather than speaking to it as told, the Lord kept him from entering into the promised land (Numbers 20: 12)Isaiah 45: 22-23, Phillipians 2: 9-11, Ezekiel 18: 23-32, Matthew 25: 32-46, and Luke 19: 12-27 might be of help. Turning from our way is not an option, and the consequences of not turning are severe. One of the things I can take away from this is that He keeps His word to me and everyone else. My trying to protect myself has never worked. I have the option of unconditional surrender or being 'taken out.' I think that Deuteronomy 30: 6 would be an appropriate period to this rambling. Shalom

I Might be Wrong said...

I have not yet read all the verses you referrenced, I intend to today.What has changed with God that one missed step or one broken rule or one sin will not keep us from the promised land? Did he not forgive Moses?

Anonymous said...

Jesus happened!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms