December 1

Scripture focus:
Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you. I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice. Psalm 51:16-17 The Message

2009 was a great year for my family in light of Psalm 51.

We have found it impossible to go through the motions of practicing the principles of recovery and digging our roots deep into the soil of faith when life throws several curve balls simultaneously. One suffering circumstance -- providing it's small and doesn't greatly affect me or mine -– and I suppose I could live off the fat of my God-experiences and storehouse of previously received and recognized blessings from above. But this year has reminded me that curve balls do not escape -– for one single moment -– God's attention.

Stress changes the way our brain works – chronic stress harms virtually every cell in our body. This isn't good news for those desiring to perform flawlessly.

The good news: God isn't interested in a flawless performance.

The better news: God is attentive to the broken-hearted.

The best news: When we suffer, not a moment passes that God is distracted and inattentive to our pain. If we can remain conscious of God's constancy, this awareness calms our brain. When our brains are calm, we can think clear thoughts, deal with raw emotions without freaking out and causing further harm to self or others, and best of all – see God at work in our lives.

In the midst of suffering, my family has found a united voice. Over and over, one of us has said, "Wow. That's a God thing." Or, "I can't believe how blessed we are." Our favorite, "My, what great friends we have -– we are lucky ducks."

I hope you've had an awesome year. But if my story rings your truth-o-meter because you've had some challenges like our family has –- I pray that this awesome news will encourage you in some way today. May you see God at work, even if your heart is breaking.

Recommended reading: Jonah 1 – 4; Nahum 1 - 3


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community



3 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

Going through the motions kept me using for a extra 10 years,practice as kept me sober 20. He opened a door for me and I had to be broken enough to want to see what was inside. He led me to Northstar thru Canada when I was looking for Him, because He knew what was coming and that I would need Him and my Community more than ever. For me it is holding on to trust as the believing grows, which allows me to find the blessing in the dark times. I too feel "My, what great friends we have -– we are lucky ducks.". I must admit I have not said lucky duck for a while, thanks to Northstar there are a lot more ducks on my pond.

Anonymous said...

I never wanted nor believed in the benefit of "community" before NorthStar. Self-reliance was my protection. Fortunately, God helped me to take some baby steps and I am grateful for the community that I now feel a part of. Thanks for being there for me and my family this year. -DH

hzjewl said...

I had never heard of "community" in relation to a group of like-minded people reaching toward the same goal and actually liking each other until I came to Northstar. Among these people is the only time I don't feel self-conscious. And that's a very freeing sensation of normalcy for me.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms