November 3

Scripture focus:
As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand." The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her." Luke 10:38-42 The Message

In yesterday’s devotional, I wrote of my decision to hold onto the one essential thing and let the rest of the day unfold as it saw fit. I want to report back.

I managed to get all my work done even with dirty coffee mugs staring at me in an accusing way. My grandpuppy was appropriately tended to: she had an accident free day, two walks, meals on time and a lovely uninterrupted morning nap in my lap as I worked away on my computer.

I was able to clean the kitchen while I prepared the evening meal. (Only you know my kitchen was dirty until early afternoon!) My guests seemed to enjoy the evening, even the food. Part of it I prepared myself; some was brought to me by a dear friend; the rest was purchased in a yummy local bakery. They didn’t seem to notice or care that not everything they ate was homemade.

Yesterday, nothing of any value was taken from me.

It could have gone differently.

I could have chosen to be a grumpy girl, make my husband miserable, try to be perfect (rather than myself), put on some show of hospitality rather than simply choose to be hospitable, and decrease my productivity due to a flagging spirit. If I had chosen the distracted route and lost my place in my own story, I could find myself filled with regret today. I might need to make a list of all the people I offended along the road to perfection. I bet my guests would have sensed the tension in my home – carried there by yours truly. I imagine the evening would have been awkward at best.

I’m thankful for Martha’s story – it reminds me of what’s truly important before I mess up and lose my way. I suppose that’s why I love God’s word and his people – both serve as metaphorical love notes from God guiding my path. May you discover some wonderful lights along your own journey today!

Recommended reading: Isaiah 35 - 37

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what if? each and every person who reads the story of martha 'stuck' in the kitchen, and mary 'just hanging out' will see something different. to me, martha seems to be trying to involve Jesus in triangulation with her sister. she needs to talk with her sister privately and directly. i think martha might be an enabler, and mary might possibly be passive-aggressive. as members of the same household, it would be appropriate for there to be a sharing of responsibility for providing hospitality and the ultimate mess that needs cleaning up. this is probably not the first time this has come up, and martha is frustrated. a productive conversation between the sisters has yet to take place. martha is being re-active rather than pro-active. what needs to take place is to confront the problem. martha needs to relax, and mary needs to share responsibility for hospitality. consider the options, recognize the pluses and minuses of each option, choose a course of action and each one commit and walk out the solution. the solution might be the two together prepping before and cleaning up after, so both can relax and enjoy during the event. this is not the only example of Jesus declining a request to mediate a disagreement between siblings.

a.'nanny' mouse

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms