November 18

Scripture focus: You’re blessed when you get your inside world – your mind and heart – put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. Matthew 5:8 The Message

    Emotionally distant god – does not care about our emotional needs, we make excuses for him and feel as if he is too busy for us, he is uncomfortable around emotional expression…(excerpted from Soul Repair)

Our daughter has moved back to our home town – and we are so thrilled and delighted to have her back in the community. Her decision to return to her roots led me to a discovery about myself.

I realized once God provided me this beautiful gift of an in-town daughter that it had never occurred to me to tell God how sad I was that she lived in a different state. I accepted her wandering ways as part of who she is – an adventuresome spirit destined for the big city lights.

As an adult child who has never had the privilege of living in town with my own mother, I accepted long distance loving as part of modern day living. I had never told God how sad I was that my mom wasn’t available for drop-in visits or afternoon tea.

When our kid came back home, I realized that part of me had falsely concluded that my own emotional longings for both my mom and my daughter were not valid longings. I didn’t believe that it was right for me to feel this way, much less burden God with the loneliness I felt when I thought of two such important women in my life both of whom lived out of easy reach.

My daughter’s homecoming re-ordered my inside world. I believe that God’s hand is all over this move. God is not an emotionally distant god, asking me to suck it up and keep my emotional needs to myself.

Have you ever experienced a reluctance to share your emotional needs with God?

If I, a mere mortal mother, am never too busy to listen to the heart cry of my own children, why would I think my heavenly Father would ever be too busy to listen to me?

May we pour our hearts out to God today.

Recommended reading: Malachi 1 - 4

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms