November 11

Scripture focus: Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves. At about four o'clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. "A ghost!" they said, crying out in terror. But Jesus was quick to comfort them. "Courage, it's me. Don't be afraid." Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come ahead." Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!" Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?" Matthew 14:24-21, The Message

My husband and I were called into a difficult meeting where two people at odds with each other asked for (and seriously needed) mediation. It didn’t go well. These are both mighty fine people – with two very stubborn hearts. Neither was open during that meeting to considering anything other than their own perceived sense of rightness. The mediation, in the moment, appears to have failed.

Over the years, one of the ways I’ve learned to reduce my frustration with others who appear to be stubbornly resistant to renewal is to keep an sharp eye on my own recovery program. Early on in my life, it would freak me out if I tried to help someone unravel a tangled mess of their life only for them to repeat their past naughty behaviors – further sullying the process of renewal.

Today, I no longer consider any attempt to aid a brother or sister in need as a frustrating experience, even if it appears to fail. Even if I’m asked to help and nothing good seems to come from the experience, I realize that perception isn’t always reality. I, myself, can learn from each encounter, even if no one else wants to! So it is now completely impossible to have a wasted meeting – because I can always be a teachable student.

So it is with great attentiveness that I study the life of Peter. I can learn from him without judging his own state of willingness to learn.

May we each become perpetual students, so that we won’t turn into critical and annoying teachers, somehow thinking we know more than we do and judging others as a result of our own unclear self-evaluation.

Recommended reading: Isaiah 59-62

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'May we each become perpetual students, so that we won’t turn into critical and annoying teachers, somehow thinking we know more than we do and judging others as a result of our own unclear self-evaluation.' "he that speaks...against a brother/sister or judges his brother/sister, speaks...against the law and judges the law. there is One lawgiver and judge, He who is able to save and to destroy. but who [am i that i judge my neighbor]?" (James 4: 11-12) oh, how often i have committed that sin for a lifetime, and paid . i thought i could teach others, and yet refused to teach myself. "let G-d be true though every man be false..." (Romans 3: 4) i truly have been false and far more than critical and/or annoying. yes, G-d has requited me for what i have done, but never fully as i deserved. He always stands ready to pour out His mercy when i turn from my way that i might live. and even the turning belongs to Him. i,on my own, cannot turn from my way unless He wills it. a'nanny'mouse

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms