May 2

Scripture focus:
Jesus said to her, “Mary.” John 20:16 NIV

One night I went with a group of girlfriends to a Lectio Divina, which is a fancy way of saying we entered into an experience of corporate contemplative prayer, using an ancient model for prayer as a guide. Our facilitator read from John 20, and we were invited to prayerfully listen to the reading and note if any word or phrase jumped out at us. John 20:16 hit me like a ton of bricks. In this passage (you might want to read it yourself), Mary arrives at the tomb distraught with grief, seeking the body of Jesus. It isn’t until Jesus speaks to her that she recognizes the Lord.

The next question we were asked to prayerfully consider is why would God place particular emphasis just for me on this verse, on this day? I asked. Immediately, I had a sense of what lay behind the spoken word, “Mary.” He said, “Mary.” But I heard so much more within the context of the passage.

“Shush. Calm down.”

“Look up.”

“I am here.”

“I am fully present and available to you.”

“Stop fretting. I am not in need of rescue.”

“Halt. You’re running so fast in your fear and anxiety that you don’t even see what is right in front of you. I am who you seek. I am already here and you’re missing me – not because I am gone, but because you simply do not have eyes to see.”

Shush. Listen. God is fully present. Do you hear Him?

Where is your treasure? What are you chasing after?

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms