May 24

Scripture focus:
“You shall have no other gods before me.” (Said God in Exodus 20:3.) NIV

I was trotting along on my favorite treadmill this week when some guy showed extreme irritation at my presence. He huffed and puffed and paced around the machine. At first I thought, what’s this guy’s deal? Is he afraid he can’t keep up? Then I returned from the imaginary land of denial and asked for clarification.

“Is there a problem? Can I help you?” I asked.

“Yeah, how long are you going to be on MY machine?” He answered.

“I’m sorry Sir, I didn’t realize this machine had your name on it. I will hop off immediately. I live to serve you and make you happy.” Just kidding. I said no such thing!

“I’ve got twenty more minutes.” The real me said.

“Sheesh! I haven’t got all day!” He fumed.

“No worries! I’m old, I can’t run all day.” I admit it; I did say that.

Upon reflection, I realized that I had shown up for my daily run at a time that I am normally having my quiet time. This guy probably wakes up early every morning and arrives at the gym when it is deserted. He takes this treadmill each and every morning on a run. Today, I foiled his plans.

On any given day of the week, I am usually on this – my treadmill – at a different, equally tranquil time of day. If he had shown up at my traditional time slot and hopped on MY machine, I would have been annoyed. Evidently, both of us are addicted to our routines.

Our dependencies help us find out who really is god to us. Are some addictions bad and others innocuous? I don’t think so. More on this tomorrow.

In the meantime, maybe today will reveal a treasure/god that you hold onto too tightly. If so, tomorrow’s devotional discussion might prove of interest.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms