May 27

Scripture focus:
Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Said God in Exodus 20:3, King James Version

There is one really good thing about addiction. It can chip away at our pride and make room for an openness to grace. It helps me hug my friend who struggles with whether or not to stick a needle in her arm without an ounce of judgment.

After all, I love my Brie more than broccoli.

I pray that you do not think I am being flip. I am dead serious.

I often recall the story of the guy who came to pray and thanked God that he was not one of those “sorry people.” Jesus wasn’t too happy with him.

So what delights you?

Are there any “dependencies” that you have minimized, discounted, and rationalized?

Have you looked around at “those people” and felt superior, safe and proud?

Has an opportunity arisen lately when you have started a sentence with, “At least I don’t…”


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

3 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I would ask that you add the Whitten Family to your prayers. I would just ask that you lift them up in prayer as they move to the next chapters in God's grand epic adventure for them. What delights me is living in a community that can reach out to each other when we encounter the rough spots in the road of our journey. I am one of "those people". The sorry folk, it is amazing what a bunch of sorry folk can do when led by God's hand. I pray that all of us sorry or not that we find the grace and love God has provided each of us and we take a moment to hear His voice and do the next right thing even when it is hard. Blessings

Anonymous said...

Excellent use of the paraphrase with regards to james. Also, think this is a super great description. t

Hzjewl said...

When I was "religious" and thought my salvation made me better than those without it, I would say "at least I don't ..." But I can no longer say that because one sin is no more wrong than another. So I have to now say "at most I do" but with God's grace I will overcome.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms