May 26

Scripture focus:
You shall have no other gods before or besides Me. (Said God in Exodus 20:3) Amplified version

At NorthStar Community and countless other faith communities, people show up knowing that everyone in attendance has a shared core identity – we’re human. We have dependencies. We have addictions. We lust. We have other gods.

“Hey, I saw you on tv, right?” He asks with an air of certainty that means I have to carefully consider whether or not a minister should lie in such an obvious manner.

“Maybe.” I hedge.

“Well, I sure am glad I ran into you. Because I want you to know that I think all you religious nuts are a bunch of hypocrites.”

I sigh with relief. Usually guys like this tell me I look fatter on tv than in real life. This never feels like a compliment, which I am sure is exactly as intended by the anonymous speaker. All this guy is doing is calling me a hypocrite – no big deal!

I nod an assent and keep walking. I don’t know this angry man, and I owe him no explanations. But he certainly got me thinking. I’ve grown accustomed to believing that we are, indeed, all hypocrites. Lately I’ve been rethinking my assumptions on a lot of things, and this issue has come up as a possible growth opportunity for me.

A hypocrite is a person who pretends they are something that they are not. If I said I preferred broccoli over Brie, I’d be a hypocrite. If I acknowledge the truth that I prefer Brie to broccoli, and go on to clarify that I choose to eat more broccoli than Brie as a part of a commitment to healthy eating – that is telling the truth – most of the time. Once in awhile, I am going to sit down and eat Brie without a single stalk of broccoli. I may eat it with crackers or toast. I may eat it as an appetizer, main dish, and dessert. I may remember to peel off the white rind or I may forget in my haste to nosh on the tasty Brie and eat it covering and all. This does not make me a hypocrite; it makes me inconsistent.

Inconsistency is different than hypocrisy. Hypocrisy leaves no room for holiness (if we define holiness as living with nothing hidden). Inconsistency provides us the opportunity to work toward a goal of increased consistency. It is also something we must hope and wait for. The awareness of grace provides us with a reason to never give up and never give in – even if we feel as if we are at the end of our rope.

Paul says the same thing only better in the book of Romans, when he reminds us that from the beginning, all creation has groaned in one great act of giving birth…we are all waiting for freedom. We wait patiently because we believe. We believe not in our own ability to be consistent, but in the One who dispenses grace lavishly. No matter where your treasure lies, have hope.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I hope and wait for my character defects to go away? Interesting thought. Think I will try it. In the mean time I have been extended Grace so I dont have to worry about changing and aligning myself with HIS will for me.

Some random thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....My understanding from reading this is not that we sit around, hoping and praying...although those are certainly awesome things...but that specifically, we're hoping and praying for the grace to change as we come to understand HIS will for us. For example, we know that scripture tells us to love others, extend kindness, be gracious, turn the other cheek...I know this and I want to do this (change) and I want to be aligned (although often I am not). But it seems so hard to do!!! It comes so natural to judge, criticize, feel superior, think unkindly and act rudely instead of changing and aligning...at least for me. That's why for me, I hope, wait, pray AND do these acts of alignment (with mixed results) act ...even when I'd prefer to be snarky or sarcastic or judge another person. The fact that I find it such a struggle teaches me that God is still working on my defects of character - but this honest self-assessment does not free me from my obligation to obey.

Anonymous said...

The best explanation I have ever heard! I will clip this and put it in my wallet.

Thank You.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms