Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Day 215 - Resistance

Scripture focus: It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don’t use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Galatians 5:13 The Message

I overheard a conversation last week that knocked my socks off. Our youngest was working at our church’s Vacation Bible School, and he was leading a group of youngsters down the hall. One of the second graders in his group was exerting his freedom, and mouthing off a bit at his leader. Lucky for me, they were passing by the office where I was working.

“I’m not coming back here tomorrow, and you can’t make me.”

“That’s true, I can’t. I don’t even know where you live,” replied Michael.

“Yeah, well, just so you know. My mom says if I don’t like this, I can stay home.”

“Ok. But just because you can stay home, doesn’t mean you should stay home.”

They headed on down the hall, and I sat back in my seat. It certainly is easy to confuse choice and freedom! This little guy has obviously been given the opportunity to make a choice. He can choose whether or not he attends Vacation Bible School. That doesn’t mean he’s free. I think this whole issue of choice and freedom is confusing – because in the moment, it is sometimes tough to evaluate whether one is truly free or not.

When Michael was younger, he’d often inform me of a choice he intended to make – believing it was his prerogative to choose. When he was itty bitty, it was – “I don’t want to take a nap, and you can’t make me!” He aged up a bit and said, “I don’t need to learn how to swim, and you can’t make me!” Even older, he declared, “I don’t need to go to (basketball/lacrosse/swim team/band/etc.) practice, and you can’t make me!” And he was right. In that moment, it would appear that he had a decision to make (after all, it was his nap and skill set and practice) – and also the freedom to choose. With enough toothpicks, he could keep his little eyes open and avoid a nap. I could throw him in the pool, but if he didn’t want to swim, he had the choice to sink like a stone. I could take him to his many, many practices – but if he wanted to sit on the sidelines, who could stop him? Often our response to Mike was – “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.” It would be many years before the truth would be revealed about whether or not he was free. Because Michael made the decision to learn how to swim, he enjoys the freedom of going to the beach or fishing or water skiing with his friends. Since Michael made the decision to go to basketball/lacrosse/swim team/band, etc. practices – he enjoys the freedom of beating his old man at basketball, playing lacrosse for his high school team, and a host of musical experiences – all of these things would be impossible if he had chosen to stay home rather than show up.

Over dinner, Michael expressed his concern that one of his wards would fail to return to VBS. He hoped the parents of this little guy would guide him to use his freedom wisely. Mike fretted a bit about the missed opportunities and unintended consequences if this kid bailed on his commitment. Fortunately, Michael’s worries were for naught. And by the end of the week, this kid was leading the pack and thoroughly enjoying his VBS experience.

Just because we can, doesn’t mean we should.

Recommended reading: In the morning read 2 Chronicles 32, 33; in the evening read Romans 16, Psalm 23.


Copyright 2008 Northstar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms