Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Day 228 - Measuring progress and avoiding the painful pursuit of perfection, Part 2

Scripture focus: It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time:…a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage…Galatians 5:19 The Message

Long before we had the scientific understanding of dendrites and glial cells, Paul knew the deal: what we think about matters. Jesus spoke of this same principle when he distinguished between acts of cleanliness and uncleanliness. He said it wasn’t so much what we did, as it was the state of our heart that determined our spiritual condition. He reminded men that adultery wasn’t just an action, it could simply be a look (Matthew 5:28). He taught us that the state of our heart determined the path we’d choose to run down. He warned of false prophets, telling his audience to pay less attention to what a person said and more attention to the fruit of their lives (Matthew 7:16). He warned others to take more care with what came out of their mouth than went in it (Matthew 15:11). The stuff that goes on between our ears and in our heart is vitally important to God. Paul expressed a similar perspective in Galatians five. The next word used by Paul is akatharsia – meaning lewd or unclean thoughts that eventually produce lewd or unclean actions. These definitions are found in Rick Renner’s book, Sparking Gems From the Greek, July 15th study.

Our technology hasn’t gotten so fancy that we can read the thoughts of others, or judge the intentions of their heart (and that’s good, because that’s not our job). But we can learn a lot by studying the fruit. I suppose that’s one reason why Paul felt it necessary to craft a list of obvious indicators that we’re trying to get our own way all the time. He knew – without the benefit of modern technology – that what we think about matters. It determines what we do. And what we do affects others (and self). Sometimes it’s enough to make us all wonder what we really believe. Certainly Galatians reminds us that at a minimum, what we’re doing may cause us to pause and prepare. We may need to ask ourselves: what was I thinking?

Recommended reading: Nehemiah 9, 10 in the morning; 1 Corinthians 10, Psalm 34 in the
evening
Copyright 2008 Northstar Community

1 comment:

finder said...

Today's devotional is particularly apt for me. My ex and I had a meeting Thursday. He and i spent many years locked in a terminal struggle, him to destroy me and me to fight him until he stopped. Our meeting was his typical insulting, tantrum-throwing, threatening and bullying 'you are an evil person and I hate your stinking guts' behavior, replete with profanity and epitaths you wouldn't hear from anyone but an abuser. today i work up certain that I should tell him how awful his behavior was, and that I have no intention of putting up with it anymore. Today's devotional remined me to put first thigns first. I haven't a clue if God will call me to speak to him or not, and that is the point. Until I have that nudge from Him, I don't have to do anything about this. i don't have to retaliate, complain, suffer in silence, sulk, pout, over-analyze or nurse my wounded feelings. He is under no obligation to treat me kindly. Or rather, i have no business decinding how he should act. All I have to do is listen to how God wants me to act. Much easier. I live in my head, not my ex's. I live in relationship with God first. How freeing. God does not call me to be a doormat. Nor does He call me to be a retaliating witch, behaving just as my abusive ex does. There are other, there are infinite options in relationship with Him. My priority is walking as God walks. Thank you for today's devotional.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms