Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Day 231 – Week 33 at a glance

Scripture focus: It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; trinket gods… Galatians 5:19 The Message

This week we began our study with an essay by Jason Gray that challenged our definition of greatness. Then we moved on to a study of Galatians 5:19. We’re moving through Paul’s list of seemingly obvious indicators of living life independently of God.

I’m always challenged by my own experience – that what is obvious to others about me isn’t always obvious to me about myself! And so I’m studying this list as if my life depends on understanding it. True enough, my salvation is sealed. I’m saved, not because I get life right, but because Jesus extended mercy and grace to me – even when I live like a sinner. Knowing that theologically I am saint has not provided me with an instant coat of Teflon from all sorts of bad behaving.

But it is a great start. I’m trying to figure out how to step as God speaks. Part of that process involves learning what I’m not supposed to step into. Next week we’ll continue a study of the list that Paul seems to think is very straightforward.

Recommended reading: Esther 1 and 2 in the morning; Esther 3 and 4 in the evening
Copyright 2008 Northstar Community

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

with 4 years recovery I started to feel uncomfortable with some of my behaviors. I began to ask God to search my heart and show me the defects of my character that still lie there as I entered into another review of step 4. Now as I face step 6 I feel differently than I have in other step 6's I have done. I am still preparing for this exciting level in my recovery on a more spiritual level and in sufing the web for further insight I found this website which, of course, led me to your blog. I am uplifted and convicted daily and for this I want to thank you!

GodsBabyGrl said...

Welcome Lori. I'm so glad that you found us. If you'd like to chat or email please feel free to contact me. I'm GodsBabyGrl@gmail.com.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms