Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Day 220 – Life as a Team Sport

Scripture focus: When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up. Psalm 32:3-4 The Message

When God was busy creating life as we know it from pure nothingness, he commented on only one thing that needed tweaking. God said, “It’s not good for the Man to be alone; I’ll make him a helper, a companion.” (Genesis 2:18 The Message) God knows that his creation thrives in community and shrivels up in isolation.

Community is much more than just hanging out with other people. We are part of a community when we allow ourselves to know others and be known by them. I know folks who show up for community but refuse to live companionably with others. Rarely do these people find community satisfying. They tend to be prickly and easily offended. Unless the ambience is to their liking, they don’t usually stick around. But here’s the deal – community, true community – is rarely comfortable. People get offended – and rightfully so. Inevitably, someone is going to act up and mess up. This should not shock us. In fact, I think it is worth celebrating. I can’t explain it, but I have experienced the truth of it – we are healthier when we are actively, companionably involved in a messy community of mutual goofs – than when we live in the pressure cooker of trying to hide our dirty laundry.

Which do you prefer – going to a fancy party all dolled up or hanging out with people who know what you look like without your make-up spackled on? Don’t get me wrong – I love a good party. But it’s hard work. You have to find undergarments to take off those ten pounds you meant to lose before the big shindig. Your shoes must match your dress. Great jewelry and polished nails are essential if a valet is going to park your car and caterers are going to serve you appetizers on shiny silver trays. A great coat is essential if you’re going to have to tip some girl in a skimpy outfit to retrieve it for you at the end of the evening. Can you imagine handing a coat checker a windbreaker?

But I don’t find my bliss in bling. I love walking on the beach with no make-up and hearing my knees clack in perfect rhythm to my husband’s creaking ones. I appreciate the fact that I’m known so well by my companions that no magic potions or constricting undergarments can hide the truth about who I am. I love relationships that have developed to the point that illusions are not only unnecessary but ludicrous. I figure anybody who can be fooled by dim lights, make-up and fake nails probably isn’t a true companion.

Life is a team sport. God knows it, and so do we if we think about it. A good team knows both the strengths and the weaknesses of each player. Great teams aren’t usually forged out of a pack of super-stars; awesome teams emerge when a group of people come together and decide to live companionably with each other. Success isn’t the result of perfect performance so much as it is built upon a willingness to live companionably with imperfections and learn from past mistakes. Most memorable teams experience a defining moment in their relationship – when they decide that they value each other in spite of their limitations and choose to unite to rise above them.

I suspect that if we want to replace our groans with cries of delight, we’ll need to repent of the falsely held belief that people can only love us so long as we’re performing up to and exceeding expectations.

Recommended reading: Ezra 4, 5 in the morning; Psalm 28 and 29 in the evening
Copyright 2008 Northstar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms