Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Day 235 – All-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants

Scripture focus: It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: …all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants… Galatians 5:19 and 20 The Message

The NIV calls this desire jealousy; the King James translation uses a word that proves why we need more modern translations if we want to understand scripture – emulations. The Greek word, zelos, has a variety of meanings, including: passion, fervor, enthusiasm, envious, resentful, a person upset because someone else achieved more, irritated, infuriated, irate, annoyed, provoked, and fuming. (I could go on, but you get this one, right?)

Acts 7:9 says, “moved with envy” to describe the feeling that compelled Joseph’s brothers to sell him into slavery. You’ll remember that Joseph was one of many sons, favored by his father, destined for greatness – and given a very cool coat. This emotion was so strong that the boys felt compelled to act on their passionate resentment toward Joseph.

If ever there was an obvious indicator that something is “not quite right” in our lives – it’s the feeling of jealousy. Most of us can recognize this feeling and know it’s not attractive. But we also know the compulsion of the feeling. Just because we know our envy isn’t good for us does not free us from its power.

Instead of berating ourselves over our all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants, we need to allow our “zelos” to get our attention without giving it permission to run our lives. The solution will not be discovered by berating ourselves about our pettiness. Demanding that we stop feeling this way won’t calm the storm within.

Maybe a good first step would be acknowledgement. When we find ourselves overcome with resentment, we could offer up a prayer – “I’m feeling really resentful, jealous, and envious. This is an obvious sign that I’m under the influence of trying to get my own way. This belief that I have that someone else has what I deserve is not going to ultimately prove helpful to me or healthy for me. God, show me the way. Help me understand what’s really going on with my own unquenchable desire to have my own way. The issue here isn’t the issue – it’s not about this other person and what they have. This is about me and the kind of life that is developing as a result of what I’m thinking, believing, feeling and acting on. Help me.” And he will. God rescues those who cry out to him for help.

If we want the good life, we’re going to have to eliminate our desire for shortcuts and handouts. This will take a big heart.

Recommended reading: Job 4 and 5 in the morning; Job 6 and 7 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms