Day 24 – Jesus knew his God-created identity and prevailing purpose

Scripture focus: As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:16-17 NIV

Speculate with me for a moment. Jesus could have made other choices. He could have turned those stones into bread and immediately taken a big bite out of the tastiest loaf. He could justify his actions by thinking that it would provide him with the strength to continue his battle with the devil. (Of course, it reminds me of that nasty fruit tasting incident in Genesis three – and that didn’t work out so well for Adam and Eve.)

Jesus could have said, “Back off buddy, you aren’t the boss of me! I’m not going to fall for your tricky tricks. You got Adam and Eve with this temptation – but not me! You’re a slimy snake, and I want nothing to do with you. In fact, I smite thee with my righteous anger!” This too would have been theologically correct. Jesus does ultimately overcome the oppressor. Why not just get that part of the story out of the way?

The Son of God could have fled to the nearest prayer closet. He could have said to Satan, “Could you hold that thought? I need to go reflect on this in prayer.” Jesus often withdrew to quiet places to pray during stressful times of ministry.

He could have stood before his accuser in silence. As he gazed into the face of the enemy, he could have been praying, “Abba, Father, save me!” Certainly he prayed at all times and with his God connection, he knows his daddy was listening.

Setting speculation aside, what did he actually do? Sometimes big insights into scriptural passages come by looking back in the text. What was the event that preceded the temptation? The baptism of Jesus. What did his daddy say to him? “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

“In the Gospels, Jesus does not succumb to every kind of suffering that comes his way. His identity as God’s beloved Son and his sense of purpose and calling cause him to avoid certain situations. God reminds him before he goes into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil that Jesus is his beloved Son. This reminder…is to encourage Jesus and build him up before a period of desolation. In the wilderness, Jesus knows who he is. There is no doubt in his mind – and he states it. The Enemy tries over and over to challenge this identity. He distorts Scripture, and if Jesus were to follow what Satan wanted, he would come under the bondage and oppression of evil. Time after time he answers Satan’s distortions with statements of victory and purpose. When he emerges from the wilderness, his identity leads him to begin his ministry the right way. “ (p. 20, Running In Circles)

Now, return with me to our hypothetical story in yesterday’s devotional. Can we formulate a four point plan for how to escape the cyclical suffering that often accompanies big family gatherings? I don’t know. What I do know is that the cornerstone of any effective planning will require the following: we must know our true God-created identity, we must be well-versed in hearing God’s voice, and disciplined in the fine art of stepping as he speaks.

Recommended reading: Genesis 48 and 49 in the morning; Matthew 16 and Psalm 20 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 NIV

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms