NSC Devotional Day 5

Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 5

Scripture focus:  "Surely the Lord is in this place - and I did not know it!" Genesis 28:16 NIV

When I opened up my Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words (both complete and unabridged), I found this meaning of grace:

Grace - "Charis" in the Greek language meaning:  freely given loving-kindness; delight, favorable regard, to rejoice; received from God and Christ; God's attitude towards one who sins (sin - living independently of God)

 In the book of Genesis, Jacob is an unlikely character for God to heap helpings of grace on.  This man deceived his father, cheated his brother, and caps off the spree of deception in a close encounter with God.   In summary, God comes to Jacob and promises him a grand epic adventure, complete with blessings for both him and future generations.  Does that make sense to you?

Jacob responds to all this good news with awe and fear; he worships God, and some suggest he attempts to manipulate God in the process.  I don't know Jacob's intent, but I find the story both oddly disturbing and immensely comforting (you can read it in Genesis 28).

It disturbs me that God gives blessings to a guy who looks like he deserves stern talking to followed by a lengthy stay in "time out."  It comforts me to know that sometimes I, like Jacob, don't get what I deserve.  God chooses to bless as he sees fit, whether I deserve it on any given day or not.

Big hearted people know this about God.  He blesses in a willy nilly fashion.  God has eyes that see our potential in spite of the fact that we often act more like problem children than potential heroes.  God looks right through all our messy living and sees the shining hope of His promise firmly embedded in our heart.  (He has planted eternity in the human heart. . .Ecclesiastes 3:11, NLT)

In the days ahead, remember:  we find God's grace in unexpected places, dispensed to undeserving recipients.  At times this extravagant grace-giving will annoy us (especially when we think the lucky winner deserve smiting and heavy-handed justice).  Other times we'll count on it when our own bad behaving leaves us doubting our ability to serve on God's team.  Constantly we will adjust our thinking to align with God's truth.  We're in for the ride of our lives!  Enjoying the experience and enduring the thrills will require us to remember:  the grace of God is indeed an amazing thing.

Recommended reading:  Genesis 11 - 13 in the morning; Matthew 5 and Psalm 5 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.  Proverbs 4:23 NIV

 
Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion
 
Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

 

This email was sent to blog645.nscblog@blogger.com, by info@northstarcommunity.com
NorthStar Community | 2531 Buford Road | Richmond | VA | 23235

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's harder to fathom God's grace or yesterday's word, mercy. I pray to remember that even though I don't live up to my(!) expectations I can start again right now to accept God's grace and live dependently on him.

Anonymous said...

The words seem very closely related in meaning. Grace...getting what we don't deserve and Mercy...not getting what we do deserve. Do I have it about right?

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms