Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World

Day 18 - The antidote of intimacy

Scripture focus: I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me. [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency.] Philippians 4:13 AMP

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." He glares up at me - daring me to question his decision in light of such clear biblical precedent. My son was convinced that it was time for him to move out and get a place of his own. I'm a big fan of kids growing up and getting their own pads. In this case, I thought six was a little young. Armed with his Buz Light Year backpack filled with snacks and GI Joes, my son was ready to take on the world. It had been a tough day on the home front, and my boy desperately desired a little isolation.

"Have you decided where you're going?"

"On an adventure!"

"Well, of course you are! I mean where are you going to sleep tonight? It'll be dark soon, and cold. Have you got warm covers and a flashlight? What about taking a thermos of hot chocolate - you love that on cold nights!"

"Maybe you could get it for me?" He asks tentatively.

"Actually, I'm starting dinner - tonight is taco night, remember? I don't have the strength to do that and pack too."

He stares off toward the front door and freedom. "Maybe I'll stay for tacos and then leave for my adventure."

It sounds cute now, but back then, we were in the midst of a messy moment. I've forgotten all the particulars, but feelings had been hurt that day. One of the difficult things about intimacy is that it is so darn imperfect. We hurt each other's feelings. It's uncomfortable. On bad days, we want to pack up our backpacks and head for freedom.

"One of the difficult things about intimacy is that if we have been hurt in the past, it is the opposite of what we think we need and want. We think our greatest need is protection to prevent any further damage. But it is not protection we need, it is safe connection to help us view the world in a different way." (p. 58 in Reframe Your Life)

"The beginning of a reframed life is making the move to connect in deeper and more intimate ways with others. It does not fix everything, but it is a giant step toward seeing life as it really is." ( p.59)

Dinner, dessert, and wrestling with dad ended all talks of moving out that night. But we've had other challenges in our family and I imagine we will have more in the future. We're choosing intimacy - imperfect, messy and inconvenient - over isolation. Sometimes it's hard. I guess that's why living life on God's terms requires heart.

Recommended reading: Genesis 37 and 38 in the morning; Psalm 16 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV

Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms