Jan 27

Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 27

Scripture focus: “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last.” John 15:16 NIV

Several days ago, in spite of my better judgment, I offered up a suggestion of five words that might prove pivotal in the building of heart (vision, identity, purpose, discipline, belief). I fear that we might falsely conclude that we have been presented with an opportunity to make a decision. Could grabbing hold of the principles we’ve been pontificating about propel us out of despair and into the abundant life (John 10:10)? Is our fate dependent upon choosing wisely? Am I suggesting that we redouble our efforts and hope that our skills and clever ways will win us the big prize – the relief of suffering and the reward of a big dream?

If that’s the answer, then we’re hosed. Like the fisherman in Scott’s parable, we’ve been there and done that. Some of us even won some prizes along the way. I love to win! But counting on our abilities to be the brightest, strongest, and richest (“The best Sneetch on the beach” – to quote that wise theologian Dr. Seuss) is not a fool-proof system. In fact, it’s downright foolish.

Let’s return to the enormously grateful fisherman. Pulled to safety and standing on terra firma (firm ground), I hear his voice cry out, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I gotta tell you, in the instant before you pulled me to safety, I had my doubts. It was really, really hard to let go of that bridge. I wasn’t sure if you were strong enough to pull me out of harm’s way. Man, I am so glad I accepted your offer of salvation! Can I buy you lunch?” And off they walk to the nearest diner, where no doubt this man will begin a God conversation that ultimately may result in a completely reframed view of life.

Or not. You see, now is when he has some decisions to make. After a hearty meal and a well-deserved nap, this master fisherman might decide his best bet is to go find another lucky fishing rod. Sure, his shoulders will be sore and his fingertips bruised, but in a week or ten days, the soreness will pass – plenty of time to rethink his initial response of gratitude to the good shepherd who pulled him to safety with a strong hand and a trusty staff.

Recommended reading: Exodus 4 and 5 in the morning; Matthew 18 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV

1 comment:

1ncebitten said...

great job scott! AND it was fun to read! (but of course i HATED waiting for the ending!-lol)

F*

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms