NSC Devotional Jan 8

Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 8

Scripture focus:  Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.  God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.  This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.  Ephesians 1:4-5 NLT

 

Once upon a time, I was under the impression that I had stumbled back to God and was received reluctantly by a heavenly Father frustrated that it took so long for me to see the light.  In my mind I envisioned the approach - head bent, eyes averted, I sidled up to the throne of grace primarily because God was distracted with the cares of this world.  It wasn't like I was welcomed into the family of God so much as I was benignly ignored and allowed to hang out as long as I kept quiet and didn't make waves. 

Troublesome passages of scripture popped up in my study time.  Hebrews four instructed me to approach the throne with confidence - confident people stride without a hint of sidling.  The ever-popular story of the prodigal son also confused me.  Why did that daddy run toward his errant son?  Where was the stern lecture delivered in a way that insured a response of shame?  He threw his kid a party - are you kidding me (no wonder the faithful brother was mad)?  For  years I regularly read Ephesians 1 without seeing the sentence - "This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure."   None of these verses sound like my preconceived notions of God barely letting me into the kingdom after I grovel sufficiently.

Steve Arterburn has written a book, Reframe Your Life, in which he ponders the impact of suffering and suggests strategies that either help or hurt the healing process.  "I was fascinated that some people succumb to abuse, trauma, and other harsh realities of life while others overcome them and move on to great things and fulfilling lives. (p.5)"   His premise is that how we frame our lives determines the value of the life we live.

Listen to me.  Put this devotional down if all you're doing is reading it to check it off your "to do" list for the spiritually-minded.  If you're reading this because you're desperate or devoted, then hear me out.  You must be willing to give up all your "impressions" and opinions and pre-conceived notions about who God is and what he expects of you along with a host of other half-truths and outright lies if you're going to grow up in your salvation.

I was wrong about what it meant to be chosen by God.  I wasn't the last person picked to play on his team.  He didn't sigh when he stretched out his very big hand and pointed his long, powerful finger at me and said, "You. Come with me."  That's not how it went down. 

Instead, he knelt on bended knee, the way daddies stretch to scoop up their babies.  He cheered as I toddled toward him on unsteady legs.  He called out (either gently or with a wild whoop, depending on the temperament of each child he welcomed), "Welcome home!"  When I walked through the entrance to the kingdom of God it gave him pleasure -   as did you.  This unfathomable act of grace and mercy reframes how we view our lives.  Remember this as I challenge you with three hard truths this week.

Recommended reading:  Genesis 19 and 20 in the morning; Matthew 7 and Psalm 8 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.  Proverbs 4:23 TNIV

Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion
 
Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

 

This email was sent to blog645.nscblog@blogger.com, by info@northstarcommunity.com
NorthStar Community | 2531 Buford Road | Richmond | VA | 23235

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I'm part of God's family whether I accept it (all the time) or not. I feel like it sometimes. Other times I feel that sidling thing you mention. But then I read Psalm 8 and see that you rank us right up there on the food chain. It feel likes a pretty daily battle to believe that God really feels this way about me.

Teresa said...

Dear Anonymous, I agree with you – it is a daily battle. In fact, during my devotionals this morning I read the verse, “For as many are led by the Spirit of god, they are the sons of God.” Romans 8:14

The word “led” in Greek comes from the root word “agon” – meaning agony. So when we are led by the spirit of God, it is not without an intense conflict, such as a struggle in a wrestling match or a struggle of human evil.

So our humanity fights against being led by the Spirit of God! So I guess what I’m saying is – these trials you suffer are….normal….and agonizing. t

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms