Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World

Day 22 - The danger of false spirituality

Scripture focus: Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 1 Peter 4:12

My husband and I got into a rather lively debate on the nature of mercy (compassion for others) and grace (unmerited favor). As imitators of Christ, both of us believe that spiritual maturation will require that we become more merciful and gracious as we age. The suffering of others concerns followers of Christ, because it concerns God. What Pete and I are struggling with is our observation that sacred people can sometimes act like suckers. Christians occasionally make the most radical codependents. Frankly, I feel a little chagrined by my perspective. Is it harsh? Am I lacking the mercy gene?

God is so amazing. While we were discussing the concepts of mercy and grace in the face of suffering, God was merciful, providing me with comfort and a fresh perspective as I struggled with my self-doubt (Let me be clear. Self-doubt is a good thing if one is prone to being "often wrong by never in doubt")! Kim V. Engelmann writes about this very topic in her marvelous book, Running In Circles. Brought up in a family with a theologian father and an abusive mother who regularly spoke a spiritual language - it took years for Engelmann to realize that faith is sometimes a hindrance to productive suffering.

"The most chilling aspect of those years was the fact that my mother's spiritual language seemed to validate everything. Our family's faith was a mixed blessing. Had we not believed in God, we might have sought help much more readily. Paradoxically, spiritual language can be a lacquer that covers over and justifies problems rather than helping us discern the most appropriate, even obvious course of action." (pp.16-17)

I knew it! It's true! Sometimes spirituality is a thinly veiled cover for cyclical suffering! (I am not saying that this is intentional or premeditated.) Cyclical suffering is neither merciful nor gracious! God is the God of renewal, restoration, transformation and healing. How dare we marinate in the juices of suffering without benefiting from its power to inform, instruct, refine and strengthen?

Engelmann continues - "I am a pastor now, and I see many people trapped in a similar cycle of pain. The wife of a bipolar man whose wild spending habits have brought them to financial ruin says, 'God is telling me to love him and pray harder.' There is certainly nothing wrong with loving, and praying harder is always warranted in difficult situations. But these people reappear in my office a week, a month, even a year or two later asking why God hasn't done anything. Despite their earnest prayers, heaven is silent. The old patterns keep repeating. There is no relief. In fact, the problem now looms larger than before." (p.17) Amen!!

Peter the disciple reminds us that we aren't supposed to be surprised at the trials that come to test us. But we're not supposed to run into the flames! Suffering is no stranger to us - but for Pete's sake - life will provide plenty of it without making choices that actually feed the beast!

The next few days of devotionals will provide us an opportunity to stretch our spiritual muscles. Eat your Wheaties and get ready.

Recommended reading: Genesis 44 and 45 in the morning; Matthew 15 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV

3 comments:

Hzjewl said...

I just began reading this book yesterday and agree. In order to honor my parent(s), I had to go to the yearly Thanksgiving & Christmas affairs at Mom's but I had no tools then to withstand the alcohol induced abuse that I knew was coming. If I them, I would have just said no to the invite and stayed home.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That would have been an awesome boundary to draw. I'm wondering if you're thinking ahead - those yearly holidays are relentless! What plan will you develop for '08?

Hzjewl said...

My parent's are gone now so I can only wish I had had a plan back then, but I didn't know about boundaries and such.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms