NSC Devotional Jan 6

Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 6

Scripture focus:  "Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?"  Isaiah 40:12 NIV

My girlfriend and I were ruminating about the nature of suffering. Why, we wondered, did suffering strengthen some and crush others?  It's a mystery that we couldn't untangle, so we ordered dessert.  Later, I took my grocery list and got busy.

He was as cute as a button, standing tall at the diminutive age of four.  I could see his steady countenance as he waited patiently for me to notice him as he stood at the end of the aisle in my favorite grocery store.  His siblings swarmed around their shopping cart, negotiating with their mother over the quantity of junk food they can add to her brimming supply of nutritious staples.  I'm struck by how "above the fray" he seemed.

"How are you Mrs. McBean?"

"Fine, and yourself?"

"Well, thank you.  And the children?  How are they?"

"They are terrific, thank you for asking."  Anytime I am in the presence of this little man my manners improve! 

I don't know it and neither does he, but one day in the future I will watch as he stands tall and delivers the eulogy at his father's funeral.  During this tribute, I learn that years of poor health preceded this death - a loss that somehow seems both sudden and inevitable.  Apparently, suffering has shaped this son into a strong young man, mature beyond his years, with a huge heart.  Of course, I think to myself, the seeds were apparent all those years ago, when he stood like a mini-man, showing concern for both me and mine.

Suffering and its effects on the human spirit continue to baffle my limited human perspective.  I have observed in my life and others that suffering stirs up questions.  Times of suffering bring pressure to bear on our beliefs.  I wonder if you are in the midst of suffering in one of its many forms.  I bet if this is true, you have questions.  Regardless of where you are on your faith journey, I've learned something about God that I want to share with you. 

According to James McDonald in Gripped by the Greatness of God, God needs a pretty big hand to hold the water of planet earth. He reports that the palm of God's hand must be capable of holding 912,500 cubic miles of water. Think about it. That's 912,500 miles high, 912,500 miles deep, and 912,500 miles wide-all sitting nicely in the palm of God's hand.

So I ask you:  Is God's palm large enough to hold you and your suffering?  Mercy (God's compassion for the suffering) and grace (God's unmerited favor for those who have caused suffering)is dispensed to us (whether we are the offender or the offended), by the incredibly large hand of God. 

Recommended reading:  Genesis 14 and 15 in the morning; Psalm 6 and Proverbs 2 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. 
Proverbs 4:23 TNIV

 
Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion
 
Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

 

This email was sent to blog645.nscblog@blogger.com, by info@northstarcommunity.com
NorthStar Community | 2531 Buford Road | Richmond | VA | 23235

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms