August 17


Scripture focus: This is how we know we're living steadily and deeply in him, and he in us: He's given us life from his life, from his very own Spirit. Also, we've seen for ourselves and continue to state openly that the Father sent his Son as Savior of the world. Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God's Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God. We know it so well, we've embraced it heart and soul, this love that comes from God. 1 John 4:14-16 (The Message)


How do we learn how to live continuously in an intimate relationship with God? One thing we'll need to figure out is how to gain mastery of the following types of boundaries: skin, words, time, geography, emotional distance and other people.


Remember how boundaries function – they help us sort out what we are and are not responsible for, they keep the good in and the bad out, act as an alarm system, help us know when to withdraw and when to stay, they protect our freedom and our treasures – our feelings, our attitudes and our behaviors.


"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:34 (The Message)


Matthew six provides us one example of a time boundary. In order to draw near to God and maintain conscious contact with him, it will require us to rearrange our sense of time. We spend so much time worrying about what did or might happen that sometimes we lose sight of what God is doing in and through and with us this very minute.


May you live on God Central Time today.



Recommended reading: 2 Kings 4-6


- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In regards to you message Friday night..the real deal..being our faith and "who we be"...I am beginning to feel a sense of excitement--sometimes euphoria that overshadows all of my fears and hang-ups.
Coincidentally, I was reading a chapter to my son by one of my favorite authors (Avi)..I hope you don't mind me sharing b/c it just resonated with me and reminded me so much of your wonderful message,
Andrea
This is the end of a story of a snail (Avon) who longs to go on adventures since he heard that adventure is the key to happy life...his companion, an ant named Edward.
Chapter 15


It was the afternoon that Avon and Edward came upon a house. Avon stared at it for a long time. "How strange," he said. "We've traveled so far, and yet there's a house which seems just like my own."
Edward became excited. "Avon, he whispered, "this may well be a magic house."
"And look, cried Avon, "here's something even stranger! Not only does this house remind me of my own, back where we came from, but here is a sign which says, "Avon Snail.".
"Avon," said Edward breathlessly, "this is no just magic buy POWERFUL magic!"
With extreme caution, the two creatures pushed open the door and peered into the house.
Avon became more astonished. "It even looks like the inside of my house."
"Do you notice anything else odd?" Edward wanted to know.
"The tables and chairs," said Avon, "are just the way I like them. Even the pictures on the wall are to my fancy. Oh Edward, someone has gone to a great deal of trouble."
"It's perfectly clear to me," said Edward. "Now I know why we have so many extraordinary adventures. All the time, traveling right beside us, was an invisible magician."
"An invisible magicican," said Avon, surprised. "How stupid of me never to have noticed."
"This house proves that I am right," said Edward. "No doubt that invisible magician took an old castle and turned it into a house which you would like."
"I'm grateful and flattered, "said Avon.
Edward snorted. "Nonsense. It has nothing to do with kindness. He owes it to you!"
"I don't see why."
"Avon, just how many snails do you know who believe in magic adventures?"
"Just myself--and you--but, of course, you're not a snail.
"Exactly,," said Edward. "The invisible magician is merely showing his gratitude for your believing."
Suddenly Avon felt very happy. "Just think," he said. "to go on a long trip, to come so far from where you live, and then--then to come upon a magic castle which has all the comforts of home. Oh Edward, this has been the most exciting adventure of all. I believe I am happy at last.
Edward noodded and said, "I've always believed a man's castle should be his home."

FROM The End of the Beginning..Being the Adventures of a Small Snail and even Smaller Ant)
By Avi (Winner of Newberry Medal)

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms