August 28


Scripture focus: When crowds of people came out for baptism because it was the popular thing to do, John exploded: "Brood of snakes! What do you think you're doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snakeskins is going to deflect God's judgment? It's your life that must change, not your skin. And don't think you can pull rank by claiming Abraham as 'father.' Being a child of Abraham is neither here nor there—children of Abraham are a dime a dozen. God can make children from stones if he wants. What counts is your life. Is it green and blossoming? Because if it's deadwood, it goes on the fire." Luke 3:7-9 (The Message)


Clearly, John had in mind what a green and blossoming life would look like, and the crowds that came out for baptism because it was the popular thing to do weren't among the blooming. If we're going to live a green and blossoming life, one of the prerequisites will be that we have a loving, supportive community to support us as we test out and approve what the abundant life is all about.


To acquire this life, certain stages of development must be mastered.


First, we bond. We learn that there is a me and then there are the other guys. Among the "others" are people who we bond with. These people help us learn that God intends for us to be loved so as not to feel isolated – even when we are alone.


Next, we distinguish between "me" and "not me." This is experienced as autonomy. It will set the stage for developing the ability to take responsibility for my feelings, attitudes and behaviors.


Once we learn of our own individuality, we start exploring our world to see what is out there that is "not me." This requires a lot of dependence on others. At this stage we like to explore, but only if we have a guide close at hand.


Eventually we become explorers in the fullest sense of the world. We begin practicing our independence. We learn how to take risks. If we are stifled and not allowed to explore, or we are allowed full expression without any limits, we will fail to appreciate and reach the next stage of development.


The next stage of development is when we realize that we are neither Super Man nor Wonder Woman. Our risk-taking ways, with appropriate bumps and bruises, will convince us that indeed, we need others. We have limits within ourselves. 


These developmental milestones help set in place a foundation upon which to build healthy boundaries. 


May we all learn how to "be rooted and established in love" Ephesians 3:17….



Recommended reading: 1 Chronicles 13-15


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

4 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

"and the crowds that came out for baptism because it was the popular thing to do weren't among the blooming".I get this, as I have be dipped in serveral places and a few states. I do not think I have ever been faithfully baptized. I have done it for many reasons but I do not think my relationship with God is among them. I have been baptized as a cure,for status,and as away to get a great new mask. I am praying to find,if now is the time to be baptized as a son of my Father.( I do fear for the others involed with stray lighting strikes and all.)
"To acquire this life, certain stages of development must be mastered." This I find a bit troublsome as I do not think I have any of these mastered. I feel I do these things some days better than others, not yet mastered.I am working on a masters, do not know if I will every have the degree. I guess the question is "Am I ok with trying to acquire a green blooming life even if I never become a master?" God loves a work in progress, He loves me, I love Him, and I love His community as I love myself. This I need to master.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps when you hear the word "mastered" you think it means "perfected"...which I personally think are two different things altogether...
Beautifully said, "this I need to master."
Here's my question: could it be that part of mastering accepting and giving love will result (almost like a by-product) the learning of new skill sets?

Hzjewl said...

Mastering is a life-long process. If you think back to where you were when you got saved, you'll see yourself further along then you thought. When I was saved, I saw the "old timers" who seemed so Spiritually mature to me and did not think I'd ever be like them. When they said "I love you, Lord," I could tell they meant it. I did not feel that love at all until recently when it dawned on me that I can now say "I love you, Lord," and mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Be blessed, you're a lot closer to that masters than you think.

Anonymous said...

INteresting duscussion. I tried the baptismal cure many times and it lasted all of 2-3 weeks. I got baptised to get cured not as a demonstration of obedience or what I felt inside. Well thinking out loud guess it was about what I felt inside, lost, confussed without purpose rather than a love for my LORD and his way of living. Typical addict thinking wanting the reward without the work. Today there is a difference as I would like to be baptised as an outward declaration of an inward state of understanding and love. Don't know if this is the correct reasoning but the best I can come up with.

Ciao Y'all

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms